Screen Blanks Out

brads

Hi

(1) Using Mandrake 9.2. If no action on screen for several minutes the screen goes blank. I have heard of this happening but is there a way to stop it?

(2) Am thinking of installing Mandrake 10. Is there any way of installing it over 9.2? I`d like to keep my settings in Mandrake and the other apps. ( Evolution, Opera etc. ) Answers in plain language please. I`m still trying to come to terms with Linux in general and Mandrake in particular.

Regards: Brads

MOD NOTE: Moved from Tips and Tricks to Installing Mandrake by LiquidZoo

Edited by LiquidZoo

Quick answers to your questions:

1) Disable your screensaver. Easy as that. In KDE 3.1/Mandrake 9.2 it's K -> Configuration -> KDE -> Look and Feel -> Screensaver

2) Did you install initially with a separate /home partition? If so, you can reinstall on your system and format any Linux Partitions except the one you have for /home.

If you didn't do that, you'll want to make a backup of all of the hidden folders either to a Windows drive or to CD (Preferred) and restore them after the new install. If you do it this way, I would suggest creating a separate /home partition this time to avoid this in the future.

Disabling the power control solved the blanking out problem. hanks all!

Re: the installing of Mandrake 10; I have Mandrake 9.2 installed on it`s own box with nothing else on the HDD. May try installing 10 on it`s own partition or just wipe 9.2 and install 10 as a clean install. Really just feeling my way here. Thanks again all.

Cheers: Brads