Microsoft hires key rival from SuSE Linux

jlc

http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5195902.html

Microsoft has hired one of its worst enemies, the SuSE Linux salesman whose efforts led the city of Munich to adopt Linux and open-source software instead of Microsoft's products.

Karl Aigner, formerly SuSE's account representative for Munich, is overseeing sales of Microsoft's data center products to midsize companies in Germany. He began his new role April 1, Microsoft said Tuesday.

Yeah, ok i must admit that i don't think i like this guy and just puts further anger to Microsoft. This is kind of like the NY, Yankee's. Keep buying people up and hope you can always win.

Sorry if your a yankee's fan :unsure:

Go Royals :(

Go Bo Sox's :thumbs:

As far as the Karl and M$ well you all know my opnion about them. ;-)

Basicly its an effort to slow down Suse. I don't really think M$ needs a sales man whos best skill is breaking into NEW markets. What NEW markets does M$ have left to get into?

Well everyone. It looks like its up to us to fill in. We'll just have to keep bad mouthing M$ and pointing out its flaws to every tech person we see. Show everyone your desktop. Thats the best feature for getting new home users interested. Then point out you have nothing but a good firewall running for defence. Sign all email with something about linux. Point out you don't have any extra spyware running and can't have any running. Point out that a normal teanager can't screw it up if they are not given the admin password. That makes parents think they have controle over the computers again.

If they have little kids point them to http://dansguardian.org/ for a good content filter.

There are so many good points about Linux I tend to get carried away sometimes.

Can we make a post on this (maybe in the FAQ) where everyone gives their reasons why they use Linux, then distill it into one broad answer. Or keep all the different threads alltogether, but to my feeling this should be as concise as humanly possible.

Then we can just refer people to that link so they can read the reasons. Or put it in our sigs, in our email replies, ... And at the same time, we get users discovering our board!

What do you think? I didn't look yet, but I don't remember a post 'What are the benefits of Linux/Why should I use Linux' in the FAQ.

I'll check right now though.

I got a lot of my reasons on my switchsuccess page; nothing against copy-pasting that to a new topic, go right ahead.

As for why not to use any MS thing, here's a nice list: http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/IhateMS.html

aRtee,

thanks, I will take a look at your pages before I make my own post. That being said, I am convinced Linux should be pushed for its own benefits, rather than because of the reasons why M$ as a company and why M$ products are harmful. Not that these reasons aren't valid, but they're more of reasons to 'Why escape M$" rather than 'Why switch to Linux'.

True, I myself discovered Linux while browsing some of these 'anti'-Ms sites, but that only helped me to get a clear picture of the current market situation and bad practices, and gave me no real picture of what I could expect of Linux.

[side note: even when I was downloading my first distro. It's a weird feeling though: you are nervous because you are threading on unknown terrain, but at the same time adrenaline flows through your blood preparing for the excitement of trying something different, of actually having a 'choice' what to put on your PC and what to use. Ah, the burning of my first distro, the sweet memories... ;) ]

Just my 2 cents here.

Edited by Darkelve

In my days as a Medical Electronics Engineer I found that almost every salesman was a certifiable full time liar. I spent far too much of my various employer companys time trying to clean up the customer relations messes left behind by these salesmen who had already moved to higher paid positions in other companies based on the great sales records that they had made in the previous 12 months. Despite my hard earned qualifications, I made about two thirds of what most of them got paid (I won't say they earned because that would be a lie) despite that during my last 12 years in this field I had 7 jobs and had not applied for any of them. In the last year of a 7yr term with one company (in Australia) I was offered by the companys USA headquartered INTERNATIONAL SERVICES Manager my choice of one of two of the companys USA regions as Service Manager. So I think with my background and recognition I can speak with some authority on the subject of sales people.

Even today I got a phone call from some outfit who introduced themselves and before the person could say anything more, I said "OK what are you trying to sell me??" I got the answer "A$8,500 worth of goods and services for A$97.50".

I said "no thanks". The caller clicked off faster than I did. Was I rude??? I do not think so, in fact I know so. This call centre person is a sales person, just another spiv. I find that most people with a sense of ethics and wrong and right do not last long in the sales world.

You only have to look at real estate people. the greatest nonjailed collection of liars and cheats in existance as is also the case with lawyers. Of course there are some honourable people amongst them but they seem to plug on just to prove you don't have to be a liar and a cheat to make a living, but do they make the really big bucks?, no way..

End of rave, rant or whatever you might feel like calling it.

Cheers. John.