changing /dev/pty/* to 660

idud

Hi, I'm facing some problem with my Mdk-10-CE.

I'm an astronomy student, and in need of image reduction program. There is some apps and the outstanding one is IRAF http://iraf.noao.edu. To get this things work I have to install both iraf and x11iraf. There some canned packages that suites your linux distro. Actually noticed there that Mandrake user should use the RHUX (Redhat) packages. But for my egoism, I just downloaded the LNUX (Linux for Slackware and Debian) package. The packages successfully installed on my Mdk-10-CE by removing the /etc/redhat-release (this needed to make IRAF recognizing the system as "linux" and not "redhat").

But for some reasons (I don't know why), the xgterm (part of x11iraf) wouldn't launch except launched first by root with this error: "no available ptys". Later I know because the first launching by root changes /dev/pty/{s0,m0} to 660. The supporting people from IRAF suggest me to change /dev/pty/* to 660. And this is the real problem now, is it secure enough? I know it's not so necessary since I only use it on my PC, but what if I have to install it on some public server? Am I have to do the same thing? Or maybe any of you have a better suggestion?

TIA