Unable to update

red

Hi folks,

Just installed 9.2 and attempted to update installed packages using the update tool and I am meeting with much resistance.

Each time, rpmdrake fails when downloading the hdlist.cz from any/all mirrors I have tried.

I then receive a message: 

Unable to update meduim; it will automatically be disabled

Errors:

retrieve of source hdlist (oir synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "update_source"

problem reading synthesis file of medium "update_source"

Any ideas?

RED

Edited by red

Hi red,

You might want to try urpmi, from the command line (you'll have to su to root to use it). I'm still only a humble newbie myself, but try going to Easy urpmi (http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php). Fill in your vital statistics, and it will give you a list of commands to link you to sources of updates, add-ons, and other miscellaneous packages.

These sources are then also available in rpmdrake, so you can just use urpmi to update your sources and then go back to that, or you could do it all from the command line. Type 'man urpmi' into the command line to get more info.

Hope this helps.

Alex

EDIT - If I remember rightly, 'man urpmi.update' will give you info about how to update using urpmi (surprisingly enough).

Edited by alexpank

I have done this from a command line, with and without the hdlist.cz location and I still get the same behavior, except i can see the command line trying all sorts of loactions for the hdlist.cz file.

Thanks anyway.

RED

red.......

try this ftp site..........

ftp://ftp.proxad.net//pub/Distributions_Linux

i was having problems with contrib & cooker sites too. i found the above site works for everything, even updates, & they have all versions of MDK there to boot. to add to your sources, go to the above link, open MCC->Software sources manager, click "add", make the source "ftp", name the source, copy & paste the ftp address into the url box for each source you want. (EX: for a 9.2 contrib source, you'd copy/paste the following location...... ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...2/contrib/i586/ )

don't put anything in the hdlist box, then click save. it will automatically retrieve the hdlist & add the source for you. repeat for each additional source you want, then when you're done, click "save" on the sources manager box.

note........i'm sure there are other working sites out there now as things are getting straightened out, but i've found this one to be very reliable at the moment.

hope that helps......

Chris

red.......

try this ftp site..........

ftp://ftp.proxad.net//pub/Distributions_Linux

i was having problems with contrib & cooker sites too. i found the above site works for everything, even updates, & they have all versions of MDK there to boot. to add to your sources, go to the above link, open MCC->Software sources manager, click "add", make the source "ftp", name the source, copy & paste the ftp address into the url box for each source you want. (EX: for a 9.2 contrib source, you'd copy/paste the following location...... ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...2/contrib/i586/ )

don't put anything in the hdlist box, then click save. it will automatically retrieve the hdlist & add the source for you. repeat for each additional source you want, then when you're done, click "save" on the sources manager box.

note........i'm sure there are other working sites out there now as things are getting straightened out, but i've found this one to be very reliable at the moment.

hope that helps......

Chris

Thank you Chris. I've been going nuts trying to do updates/installs since they screwed up the mirrors. Not to mention afraid to try anything to deep as there was no way to get packages, until now.

yer welcome Ronin :D

took me almost an hour of searching numerous ftp sites lst night, 'til i finally came across that one. i installed a bunch of things from there without any troubles (except for that annoying "not up to date........" mesage that's been plaguing me since i upgraded to 9.2 months ago). other that that, everything installed & works fine.

Chris

to add to your sources, go to the above link, open MCC->Software sources manager, click "add", make the source "ftp", name the source, copy & paste the ftp address into the url box for each source you want. (EX: for a 9.2 contrib source, you'd copy/paste the following location...... ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...2/contrib/i586/ )

Hi,

For once proxad.net seems to work correctly ..... :P

To change the update mirror so that you can update in MCC->update, you can do as chris z said except that first you delete the bad "update_source", then click "add" as chris z said then instead of selecting "ftp" you select "security source". That will create a new "update_source".

PS: thinking of it I wonder if "security source" is not specific to ML10.0 I'm running :unsure:. The question was about 9.2 isn't it ? well I post this, it can help,

Not that I´m glad to hear of anyone else having the same problem, but I am having similar problems.

Am a new Mandrake user, over from Windows, and decided to update Mandrake 9.2, it went to the site and fetched in a list that totalled 390 odd Mb of files to download, it went through the download ok, but came back as all bad signatures and didn´t want to install after that.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong there, in plain english please, would be very helpful.

Cheers

smoky

:wall:

I had similar problems..

1. I deleted all sources first including the CDs.

2. I then used easyurpmi to get one source at a time, checking update speed (so I get a fast site)

3. Did a uprpmi --auto-select to verify it worked and get the packages.

4. Repeated step 2-3 for each

Reason for the step 2-3 was I wanted to simplify things so I could track where I had problems.

End result, all is working.. :)