can a router overcome adsl connection problem

ChrisM

Hi

a shot in the dark, but any thoughts or suggestions (nice, positive ones) will be very welcome.

Over the summer, I'm wanting (desperately hoping) to network 2, maybe three home PCs together which need to able to share broadband internet access, preferably without loss of speed etc. The routers I'm thinking of include Linksys BEFSX41/BEFSR41/BEFSR81. Linksys seem to offer some level of support towards Linux. (well, downloadable drivers anyway).

My problem is, that I'm having big problems not even being able to get the speedtouch 330 modem to connect using mdk9.2 - currently, it configures Ok, but just will not connect. The original plan was to have a spare box to act as a firewall/ router - initially using the mdk9.2 firewall - with the home PCs linked via a hub.

If I invest in a router, I would need to configure the router / modem, then configure the router and link the PCs via ethernet. Has anyone got a speedtouch 330 linked to any of these routers (or any router for that matter). Will it overcome my connection problems, or will I likely be making more problems for myself? Or is my thinking becoming confused?

(been trying for 2 days to get connected, my brain is starting to crash - but not as much as the dirty M$!! - I can only connect to the internet at the moment with M$ ME (not dual boot) :wall: )

I'm not sure this actually answers your question, but here goes anyway. Out house has 4 PCs (and occasionally a laptop) networked together and sharing an ADSL connection. We have a D-Link combined ADSL modem/router/switch. Its was one of the best buys I've ever made computer kit wise. Its a fairly small box that lives under the sofa, that plugs directly into the phone line and has 4 T100 network ports on it. It handles the modem/connection stuff, has a simple file wall and DHCP server. You set these up using a HTTP interface, which isn't the best in the world but its good enough.

The best thing about it NO DRIVERS!!!!! Between us we have 2 versions of Window, 2 versions of Linux and BSD. All of which connect with just the drivers for their network cards, specifying auto-matic IP and manually setting the gateway and DNS.

The main draw back is port forwarding, only one machine can do any server stuff. Which means is annyoing for bit torrent and MSN file transferes.

Thanks mtweidmann

A combined adsl/router sounds like this might be what I should be looking for. As a newbie, I especially like the idea of no drivers!! Initially my original plan was to have a seperate box to work as a router firewall, however, though it installed mdk9.2 the usb modem was plugged which once switched on, blew the motherboard.

I need to get a network up and running at home - short term immediacy required here. This gives me the time then to rescue an old box and do some learning.

Are you running your hardware on mandrake?

Yes I'm running Mandrake 10CE, they don't seem to sell my router any more but this appears to be its replacement:

http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/di604.asp

It shouldn't matter what the OS the machines on the network run, as long as they have their network cards set up properly and a decent browser. You need the browser to control the router as all the controls are http based.