Laptop widescreen HOWTO?

Guest KShots

Guest KShots

Just installed 10.0 on my laptop along with the nvidia drivers (not a problem, the drivers are pretty easy and self-explanatory now)... but the highest resolution I can get is 1024x768.

On Windoze XP, I get 14x0 x 900 (x because I can't remember if it's 1440 or 1400), and I see on the forums people have 1400x1050. I tried that and all I get is the upper-left portion of the desktop. Any chance I can get the better res and be able to display the whole screen? This is a 17" wide screen on an HP Pavilion zd7001us (if that means anything to anyone).

I suppose that I can probably live with that... but why should I settle for a low res? B)

Unlike the hundreds of topics I browsed for a short time earlier, I can start X with no problem - I just can't get a wide screen res. Thanks!

Try to find out the real resolution, instead of 14x0 x 900.

Then, modify your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to include that resolution.

Now, when you start X it may not work, but check the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log because it holds the clue as to why the resolution doesn't get used.

Then you can create a modeline with the desired resolution.

Guest KShots
Try to find out the real resolution, instead of 14x0 x 900.

Then, modify your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to include that resolution.

Now, when you start X it may not work, but check the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log because it holds the clue as to why the resolution doesn't get used.

Then you can create a modeline with the desired resolution.

OK, it's 1440x900. I looked at the config file, and it looks like what I'd want to modify is the "modeline" statement... but there's a whole slew of odd numbers that I can't make heads or tails of in there. What do they all mean, and if I only know the resolution and that it works at 61 Hz vertical refresh, how would I figure out the rest? Or is that just hopeless?