Does windows HAVE to be read only?

Most people with this problem create a separate FAT32 partition to share data between linux and winxp since both OSes can read and write to FAT32. If you do this on an existing install, be careful where you put the FAT32 partition. If you put it in front of any of your linux partitions, all the partition numbers in linux will shift(eg hda5 will become hda6) and all your linux configuration files will be out of whack==a real mess. If you want to try this, put the FAT32 partition behind all your linux partitions.

There is a driver (somewhere) to allow you to write to NTFS, but I really don't recommend using it.

The status of the current driver is:

Can only read files

Can write files so long as the length/size doesnt change and is over 1kb

Cannot create files

Cannot remove files (unless you count the next feature...)

Can stuff up and screw the partition up

I think id leave it on read only for now.

It does this because MS are changing the way the NTFS system works with each release, or modifying slightly of things between, NT4, 2k & XP and the driver developers are constantly in catchup

FAQ here: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html

iphitus

There is also the captive project. This uses the original MS drivers through Wine style emulation. You have to have the XP drivers but they can be used on older NTFS versions too.

I don't know how reliable it is, but it has been incorporated into LinuxDefender Live! CD - a BitDefender version of Knoppix.