"unable to register rpm file"

Andrewski

I'm trying to install some RPMs of a recent devel snapshot of evolution. (Yeah, the features in 1.5.6 are worth the trouble.) Problem is, when I try to install the libgtkhtml3.1_7-3.1.11.0.200404121814-0.snap.ximian.7.1.i586.rpm, I get the following error:

root:evo1.5.6$ urpmi libgtkhtml3.1_7-3.1.11.0.200404121814-0.snap.ximian.7.1.i586.rpm
unable to register rpm file
Everything already installed

And, uh, everything is not already installed... decidedly. I googled and saw that there was an old 9.1 error with MCC that had this problem. I'm running 10.0, freshly installed from the discs; what's the cause of my error?

There are several updates for the tools, including urpmi. So that is what I would guess to be the trouble. I would do urpmi updates first, and then anything with "drake" in the name.

OK, something else I have done is being in the wrong directory so that urpmi could not see the file. Are you installing manually or off a source?

I never saw that error message so it made me feel curious; this is what I've found in google (just quoting one of the very few results I've got):

From http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/announce...04/msg00009.php

MandrakeClub users use a special downloading mechanism involving HTTP

redirection with authentication.  There is a problem in the downloading

backend using in 9.1 (the curl program) which prevents the redirection

from happening correctly.  Under urpmi, users experiencing this problem

see the error message "unable to register rpm file.  Everything already

installed" when trying to install a package (a workaround is to force

the use of wget, or use the redirection (the URL beginning with

https://) directly).  Under rpmdrake, the error message is "The

signature of the package is not correct; Could not read lead bytes".

There is no workaround in rpmdrake.

I don't know if you are a club member and if this applies to you, but might yield some light to you ;)

Edited by aru

aru, thanks for the reply. I saw that article also and made vague mention to it in my initial post. I'm not a club member. I'm also not using 9.1 and I'm installing from disk, so I didn't think any of that was applicable.

At the same time (to answer Ixthusdan's question), I'm installing from disk and am definitely in the right folder.

I posted a message on the evolution mailing list, so maybe they'll be able to help.

This error baffles me...!