Shutdown in kde

Guest js72

This is odd. When i choose from menu to logout. Usually in kde 3.x.x series there is this "shutdownkonq" with logout, reboot, halt. Sometimes it comes and sometimes not. When it doesnt appear i have only choice to logout. Is there some ghost in my lovely mdk box or what?

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with KDE. Just did fresh install of ML 9.0 which went well except that my CD1 did not install Koffice. (CD from Linux magazine, not downloaded iso) I downloaded Koffice RPM and install went fine. Previous 8.2 install worked fine too.

One time KDE gives me the normal logout display of 3 options:

Login as different user / turn off computer / restart computer

and the next time I boot I might only see a small dialog box with one option: Logoff

If I use this, it takes me to the cmd line login and then I either login again as user or can shutdown with cmd. When I login again, I then get the 3 option box.

So far, I haven't found the conflict, but my guess is that it is either a bug in the KDE desktop version, or a conflict of two settings somewhere.

Hope someone has an idea?

Guest dahvaio

You need to disable the Mandrake Control Center Auto-login and use the KDE Control Center Auto-Logon if you want the 3 options with the dragon when you click on logout or shutdown. Otherwise, you will get the logout screen and then when you log back on and click on logout, you will get the 3 options.

Cool, I will give it a try and let you know. I reset earlier in KDE Prefs and so far it has been working for the last 3 times I have booted. We are having some thunderstorms and lightning here so have been shutting down to avoid problems.

Thanks for the tip!