MCC troubles: just won't start

aRTee

Ok, here's one for you guys.

Hardware as in sig: sysspec, machine: zurich.

Whenever I try MCC it won't start. I hear a click in my system (floppy?), and the splash screen comes up, but disappears after a few seconds.

ps will show that the process is still running.

This happens when I start mcc as a user from an icon on the desktop, taskbar/kicker or from the menu, and also when starting as a user from konsole; in all these cases I get asked the root password,... and when I su to root and do 'mcc'. This all results in the same thing, as described above.

Now, if I shut down the machine, reboot, go into the bios, select

'reset configuration data'

and toggle the setting for:

'Plug and play OS'

then boot linux, mcc will start.

I have naturally tried to restart without messing, to no avail. It seems I first have to mess with these settings (not sure in what order; just pnpos=no or yes, and resetting config data once is not ok; and only doing: reset config data=yes also doesn't do)....

Since I get along fine without mcc, it's not a big problem for me, but it is bad.

Note: mdk10.CE fully updated on April 7th - in other words, 10.0OE (also using the new kernel)...

Some things that could help: is there a way to start mcc from konsole but get more feedback?

It just doesn't tell anything back on the xterm window...

Any other things I could try?

Anyone else having such problems?

Im still using 9.2 names :D but shoiuld be the same

The icon starts

harddrake (or perhaps harddrake.real) (at work right now)

anyway... it seems its the hardware detection failing ....

why not try some of the individual wizards without mcc and see if it narrows them down ... like rpmdrake .. etc...

(try a locate drake for a list :D)

LOike you say a bit more diagnostics are needed here./.

Well, locate drake doesn't cut it for me... :

locate drake | wc -l

Bit much, I must say..

Anyway, the following drakes start fine:

rpmdrake

printerdrake

scannerdrake

but

harddrake2

just won't start...

Seems some kind of hw detection problem.

I killed the shell that harddrake2 got started in, now the parent process is 1, no way to kill it; If I try mcc again, it gets stuck, with the splash on my screen. Not cool...

(ctrl-alt-esc takes care of the splash so not too bad)

It too stays in the process list, no way to kill it...

Now looking through /usr/sbin/drakconf.real (the proces that won't die is that file running under perl..)

Next time I boot I will change only one thing in the bios, see if it helps, and keep track..

Sounds just like the problem I had when I first installed MDK 9.2. Mine began after I installed a security update package. I was really new to Linux at the time so my solution was to format and reinstall. The security update worked fine the next time. Not sure what the problem was tho. My comments may have nothing to do with anything but I thought I would pitch them in anyway. Have you recently installed any security updates? That might be a place to start looking.

Yes I have, but as the problem goes away when I play with the bios settings, there really is something there....

Well, next time I reboot I will just change ONE thing only, then see what happens, etc..

When I find out more I will post here, and if I find enough, I will post a bugreport too.

Would be interested to know if others have the same/similar problems.

Ouch,

I hate this sort of problem.

Thats really annoying.....

At least its perl so what about running it with -v from a console and then seeing where it hangs ?

The answer might be a single thing its probing that you might not even have (like pcmica) and its probing and hanging and you can just comment out that part in the perl code.

Ok, now booted, went into the bios, deleted config data, booted linux, and mcc starts.

mcc -v only gives this:

[root@zurich robert]# mcc -v

[root@zurich robert]# Drakxtools version 9.3.0

Copyright © 1999-2004 MandrakeSoft by <install@mandrakesoft.com>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify

it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by

the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)

any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License

along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

Ah,

I was thinking more of going through the perl a line at a time to see where it locks up. i.e. froma cLI

perl harddrake2 -v

(I think its perl -v for verbose, its ages since I programmed in it, man perl ?? Im at work now)

I bet its just one query to the bios about a device, and even then probably acpi or pcmcia... (the device might not even exist)

So since the MCC stuff is all based on perl you should be able to just edit the offending line out. At least it will give you a clue and save you going mad.... :D

Ehm no, I believe in the 4c's not the 3r's.... http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/learninglinux.html

:P

Just tried again, before I started my pc I deleted config data in the bios, then booted.

Then I tried:

perl -v /usr/sbin/harddrake2

which gives the same message as above, and

mcc --testing

just starts mcc - except that once more it doesn't start....

Edited by aRTee

Forgot to mention: for a long time I didn't do any updates, actually only once updated when CE went OE, and also noticed this just before....

I only noticed since I wanted to tell someone where to look for something, I don't often use mcc myself...

So this problem was in there before, and still is in there now; it's strongly hardware/BIOS related, since fiddling with the bios settings does have an effect...

Got no more time nor urge right now to mess more, going away for the weekend...

Will try more after the weekend though..