Reading Windows Partition

fangbite

I've been working with Mandrake Linux for several weeks now and am getting successes in most places but for some reason I can't get Mandrake to read a Windows partition on my computer. I use Mandrake 10 and have one 80 gig drive split between windows and linux. I want to be able to access several files on the windows drives (images, mp3s, etc) but can't. I tried to put them onto a cd-rw but for some reason mandrake didn't recognize it either. Any suggestions? Also i hope i'm in the right topic for this problem.

not the right forum, but not problem ;) i'll scoot you on over...

but first! what kind of windows filesystem are you using? fat32 or ntfs?

check out this FAQ we have, it should be useful: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4960

(oh yes, and since it hasn't been said, welcome to the board :thumbs: )

Edited by tyme

You can also do searches on the following keywords

fstab dev vfat ntfs

Basically, the file /etc/fstab contains entries for each partition linux will mount. Each entry describes the partition file type, where to mount, and who can access it.

You can also run diskdrake and look at your partition setup. Just be careful not to save any changes. Diskdrake will list a partition as hda1 for example. If you look in /etc/fstab, you should find an entry for /dev/hda1. If not, then that is your problem.

You can also check out the mount command.. do some reading on mount and fstab, its worth your time..

Yeah, it's not inutuitively obvious to a Windows user. ;) Once you understand how *nix handles access to partitions, etc., it's not too hard to figure out.

Glad you found your way there. :)