Win4Lin???

RadioEar

Ok, I've seen this in another topic...

- For a whole host of other applications, bridge technologies exist. E.g. the famous (infamous to some?) Wine technology, Win4Lin, ... which ironically allows me to run some Win98/2000 games again on Linux I can't run on XP (no, not even in 'compatible' mode).

Win4Lin... What is this? Does this allow me to run M$ Windows apps like (games for example) on Linux? If so this may be what I'm looking for. Do you use it with KDE? My brother Ix can't tell me.

Who can? Also what is DosBox? Same thing?

Guest gmontag

win4lin is an emulator for linux. It allows your run a virtual windows sessions. Being an emulator it is a little slow for 3d application and multimedia. win4lin only does windows 98. vmware will do windows xp but costs a little more. Wine and Codeweavers crossover allow some porting of some windows applications. Win4lin will use kde or gnome. I do not know about dosbox but I assume it does DOS only emulation meaning no graphics.

Win4Lin is available from Netraverse. What it does is allows you to run Windows 95/98/ME in a simulated environment on Linux. Yes, it does run slightly slower, but for most people that need it, it is not a huge difference.

If you are looking at doing some gaming, then this may not be the option for you as it is slower. If you are looking at running older Windows applications then this is defintily a solution. Many times I have sold this product to clients as a way to ease them into using Linux and yet assuring them that they will be able to do everything they did on Windows (basically a safety blanket for them). The catch here is that you must have a valid licence of Windows 95/98/ME, unlike other flavours of WINE.

iphitus and Jason;

After some reading (FAQ), I understand the problems emulators can have, especially with M$ apps. At this time I'm dual booting Windows98 and Linux and slowly moving over to Linux. I really doubt if I will bring M$ apps over to Linux now but maybe learn more about programming under Linux (which is what I want to do) and port some of my M$ programs I've written over the years to Linux or just rewrite.

Anyway, for now I don't have Internet service at home and my only access to the net is here at work with a M$ machine, so Linux for me is at a slow crawl. But as soon as can get DSL, then I can download some badly needed help files my version of KDE (don't what version it is) doesn't have, If I can still get them.

BTW Jason thanks for the link.

Edited by RadioEar

Win4lin 5 can run software directX. So NO games!!!! it is meant for things like WMP and Realone players.

It is also intended for Productivity applications. You do have to install Windows. Win4lin fools Windows into thinking it is running natively.

With Poser 4.03 (3D CGI app), I find very very little render time increase over native boot Windows.

With Poser 4.03 (3D CGI app), I find very very little render time increase over native boot Windows.

Probably depends on how your M$ Windows is configured maybe. For example: how many background programs are running, just for one. I find M$ Windows to be slower than KDE. Really, it's hard to judge sometimes. it's almost like comparing apples and oranges, depending on what software you're running on Windows.

RadioEar, your right there. I like to have one app running at a time, so I minimize cpu usage. In win98se, it is a matter of keeping as much resources free as possible. JRE2 is a notorious resource hog.

Unfortunately, some apps require hardware acceleration (OpenGL or DirectX), so I have no choice but to boot into native Windows. DAZ Studio is one of these (hardware OpenGL). Public Beta is coming up next week on that.

I think I will go for Maya 5 Learning Edition next month. Unfortunately, I will have to get Win2K or XP Pro to run it.