I'm not giving up

thebra

fbdev is the framebuffer device, which is some way to get X going on svga resolution; what is used during install of mandrake for instance to have some kind of graphics. Like Windows in safe mode, that works even without graphics drivers - compatibility mode if you will...

fbdev is the framebuffer device, which is some way to get X going on svga resolution; what is used during install of mandrake for instance to have some kind of graphics. Like Windows in safe mode, that works even without graphics drivers - compatibility mode if you will...

I wondered because, when I tried SuSe 9.0 Evalution CD, I messed a bit with Kaffeïne, and instructed it to use the 'fbdev' driver. Is that possible?

Anyway, when I tried to start it up again, it would complain and exit at startup. Probably because SuSe instructed X to use the nVidia driver (or a general driver) instead of in fbdev / 'safe' mode???

On the internet I found you could 'reset' the configuration to the standard config through a CLI option, but it wasn't possible here. Older version I think (or maybe it just would not work on a LiveCD?)

Sorry about the questions, but this is getting interesting. In fact, I haven't been that curious about my Linux box's interals since a long time. Then again, it has been a long time since I've been so enthousiastic about Linux.

Edited by Darkelve

On the internet I found you could 'reset' the configuration to the standard config through a CLI option, but it wasn't possible here. Older version I think (or maybe it just would not work on a LiveCD?)

You could reset ??? I dont follow exactly what you are talking about resetting. I may try this fbdev thing tonite. Ill post what I find. Thanks for another lead.

You could reset ??? I dont follow exactly what you are talking about resetting. I may try this fbdev thing tonite. Ill post what I find. Thanks for another lead.

No,

I read it was possible to 'reset' (meaning: roll back) KAFFEINE (media player) to its standard configuration using a command line (command + option). It was not possible in my version of KAFFEINE, but I read it was implemented in a later version, also to solve similar problems.

Edited by Darkelve