Can not send mail, receivng ok. what gives?

frosterrj

I have checked all the configuration files in Evolution and KMail, called tech support (I have SBC DSL using wireless mode,/pc card) and made sure there are no spelling errors for the smtp server/password, etc. Make sure using SSL is turned off by SBC tech, it is. Basically we went through all the config stuff as though e were setting up outlook, and all my options matched. I have tried the same with KMail, mozilla mail, opera mail, AND even going to the web interface of the SBC mail account and cannot send using anything.

I have triple checked that my modem's firewall is set to allow SMTP and POP ports, which it is, and was double checked by SBC tech support. Yet, I keep getting the following message from evolution when I cancel the send, or let it time out by itself:

Error while performing operation:

DATA termination response error: Interrupted system call

Does anyone know how I can tell where the problem is? I have no idea how to check if my computer is blocking ports and afaict, there is no server sfuff(firewall) on this machine, except Webmin, which does not start on boot.

In fact, I had to boot into windows to even be able to post this message to the board - mozill just hung on a waiting for mandrakeusers.org and would never send.

Thanks,

Robert

well, there's only one line in there, which is the DNS for my DSL Modem. If I comment that out, will I have problems connecting/surfing?

I didnt get a chance to see if anything happes as I couldnt get an IP for my wireless card (using driverloader wrapper) and I just shutdown.

Thanks,

RF

Not sure if this will help. I'm relatively new here myself, but I have a similar problem with my laptop and wireless card. Are you trying to send email at a location, away from your home?

In my situation, I use my laptop both at home and at work. At home everything was fine, but at work, I was unable to send email (rec. was fine).

It turns out that my ISP blocked any outgoing email that originated outside of their area. They said it was supposed to cut down on outside spammers, or something like that.

No solution for me, except to use webmail for outgoing from my office.

May not be the same problem for you, but it sounded so simmilar, I thought I would post.

Edited by kmc77

Nope, I'm trying to send from my home modem (when I can get connected). The stranger thing is that I cant post ANYTHING - send mail, even make a post on this site or use the webmail interface of my ISP (cant even get the inbox to load using mozilla or opera).

RF

Yeah, I'd like to know that too!! Regarding the Evo mail problem, the ximian guys had me run Evo with debugging turned on, and I got this output:

sending : MAIL FROM:<me>

received: 250 ok

sending : RCPT TO:<recipient>

sending : RCPT TO:<recipient>

sending : DATA

received: 354 go ahead

sending : \r\n.\r\n

received: 451 timeout (#4.4.2)

sending : QUIT

received: (null)

which they basically said was that the server was timing out before mail was finished sending- fix your server. :wall: The message was not very long, so why would it timeout?

Well, since the server is my ISP's (SBC) no much I can really fix myself is there? Thanks a bunch. However, I figured out that I can successfully send mail using the mozilla mail and Opera mail clients. WTF!? At least now I know I can receive my mail in both mozilla (leave messges on server) and Evo (dont leave messages on serve), then reply using mozilla. A big PITA, but at least there's a work around.

Still having a problem posting to this board, and couldn't even log on to my Schwab account using mozilla or Opera today. Same message - " waiting on <server here>, and it just dies. I tried looking for PHP packages on my system with:

rpm -qa | grep php (and PHP) with NOTHING returned. This is the problem? No php at all? Tried updating my system with PHP packages, but just get bad sig messages and wget failures because the mirrors seem to be down still. But, there are so many php packages, what ones should I get anyway?

Also ran the iptables -nL, and I dont even have that executable in root's path, so I guess I dont even have it.

Thanks,

Robert

Why don't you try a few things if you haven't..

1. Disable any firewall (if you can, not sure you can disable iptables)

2. Don't consider this an email problem until you fix your posting problem. What happens when you try to post?

3. If you fix 2, then is the email problem still present? Is your email server local? Your computer handling the pop or are you sending through a smtp server? Is that where its timing out? How about different email packages? Same result or different?

my modem gives my router and ip and the firewall for the router is set to DMZ mode, and my router gives my machine the ip and firewall is set to DMZ mode, so that is about as un-firewalled as I can get since they are built-in to the devices and really cant be turned off.

I did look for PHP components on my machine with rpm -qa | grep php (and PHP) which came back blank, and there are so many php packages I wouldnt know what to install.

I was able to send myself a test message using Opera mail and MOzilla mail, but Kmail and Evo are still broke.

I am having to send this message to the board while booted into my WIn98 partition, but I am using Mozilla, at least.

When I try to post while booted into linux, the bottom of the browser window just stays at " waiting for www.mandrakeusers.org" and eventually dies.

I got some camel_debug info from running Evo, but it basically just said the server timed out before evo could finish sending: (I can telnet and connect to the same server though)

[robert@localhost robert]$ CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution >>/home/robert/Desktop/camel.log

sending : EHLO [192.x.x.x]

received: 250-smtp814.mail.sc5.yahoo.com

received: 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN

received: 250-PIPELINING

received: 250 8BITMIME

This server supports 8bit MIME

sending : AUTH PLAIN blahblahblahgobbledygook

received: 235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)

sending : EHLO [192.x.x.x]

received: 250-smtp814.mail.sc5.yahoo.com

received: 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN

received: 250-PIPELINING

received: 250 8BITMIME

This server supports 8bit MIME

sending : MAIL FROM:<frosterrj@aaa.net>

sending : RCPT TO:<driverloader@lists.linuxant.com>

sending : RCPT TO:<support@linuxant.com>

sending : DATA

received: 354 go ahead

sending : \r\n.\r\n

received: 451 timeout (#4.4.2)

sending : QUIT

received: (null)

(evolution:2872): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2010: instance `0x835b538' has no handler with id `2337'

Any ideas?

RF

• 4 weeks later...