Problem installing packages with rpmdrake

Guest aldo

Hi everyone,

Trying to install several packages with rpmdrake (perl-Audio-CD is the last one),

I've got the following message (in French) :

" Tout est déjà installé (est-ce vraiment censé arriver ?)" :?

First : this is a very silly message ; I guess this should not happen, but IT HAPPENED...

I checked with KPackage and with the rpm uninstaller of rpmdrake that the required

packages were really absent and they are. (in fact they were installed in the previous

installation of Mandrake 8.2. I re-installed completely Mdk 9.0 due to /dev problems,

maybe this could help).

Anyway, I would have preferred a more professional message...

Second : as a result, I can't neither suppress those packages nor install them. I guess

that the problem will arise for many rpms installed in the previous version.

How can I reinitialize the rpm database and restart in a clean state ?

Third : when I launch rpmdrake while there is no CD in the cdrom drive, the program

scans the drive for several minutes before giving up. How can I tell him not to do this ?

(why has the "rpm source selection" feature been removed ?)

Too bad. Aside of this, Mandrake 9.0 is a very good version. Big progress. I hope

MDK will keep on the good work

Aldo

hi aldo,

I got that message --- in English "everything already installed (is this supposed to happen?) --- I thought it was cute, it was certainly much nicer than other messages out there in "nix" world. While I was trying to figure out mencoder this weekend I am sure it yelled at me at least once to RTFM.

To try and answer your questions:

I would go to a command line / terminal and type in command (as root)

rpm --rebuilddb

If that don't work, I would remove the sources in rpmdrake and then put them back in and see if that helps any.

You will also want to read up at these pages for options with installing and unstalling RPMs:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/brpm2.html

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/brpm4.html

Concerning "everything already installed"

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.php?p=38426

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ghlight=already

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ghlight=already

Concerning Scoopy's response; yes, but I also recommend making sure there are no _db.00 files in /var/lib/rpm while no rpm process is running. If there are, delete them and run

rpm --rebuilddb

I guess that the problem will arise for many rpms installed in the previous version. How can I reinitialize the rpm database and restart in a clean state ?
As Scoopy suggested, remove all sources and add the ones you want again.
Third : when I launch rpmdrake while there is no CD in the cdrom drive, the program

scans the drive for several minutes before giving up. How can I tell him not to do this ?

I believe this is a supermount issue that some have had. If you want the convenience of supermount and have no other probs, you'll just have to deal with it. If you want to disable it, just say so and I'll tell you. It''s silly for me to post how if you don't want to :wink:
(why has the "rpm source selection" feature been removed ?)
Mandrake Control Center>Software Management>Software Sources Manager

Hmm thats odd...I rebuilt the database and then removed the sources then re-added them...But now I have more problems. The program I wanted to install in the first place is no longer in the install list...As well as some other programs which were "supposedly" already installed. Any idea how to "refresh" the database list and add these entries into the install list again? I've tried to remove and add the sources again but it doesn't work...

Hi all,

At last I could try the tips you pointed out in your answers. Sorry for the "Software Source Manager", I should have found it by myself.

Well, in fact the MDK 9.0 CD sources had not been added in the sources list at installation (why ???). I had only the 8.0 and 8.2 sources. I tried to add the 9.0 with the manager and I had a lot of problems reading the CDs (problems with automount, Input/Output Errors,...). I changed the IDE driver to an IDE-SCSI emulation, and it seemed to be better (but is it related ?).

Another problem I had when installing the MDK 9.0 distrib sources is the path to synthesis/hdlist files. First there is no help on this field, and I found the meaning only in the urpmi manual. The problem with the distrib CD is that the .cz files are located only in the first CD, so there is no relative path in the other CDs when adding them.

I guess a distrib is not suited to be installed one CD at a time.

Finaly, here is how I proceeded :

- remove all old sources from obsolete MDK versions with the source manager.

- open a root terminal

- mount the Installation CD 1 with

mount /mnt/cdrom

- add the MDK 9.0 sources with the suited command :

urpmi.addmedia --distrib "Mandrake 9.0" removable://mnt/cdrom/

(this command adds all the distrib sources only by reading the appropriate files of the CD 1).

- rebuild the database with

rpm --rebuilddb

Now everything seems to be alright concerning package management.

I suggest, if Mandrake developpers read this forum, that the rpmdrake installer, remover and source manager refer to the relevant man pages as a help, and that the source manager should have a "distrib" option to reinstall the distrib sources from scratch.

Thanks a lot for the ideas that lead me to this solution.

In turn, I hope this description helps.

Aldo