DSL modem does not work in 10.0 CE

arthur

I put this in Networking since this is most probably a software problem.

I use the Alcatel SpeedTouch ADSL modem and I'm triple-booting XP, 10.0 and 9.2. My modem works in 9.2 according to the instructions in Tips and Tricks, but in 10.0 I cannot connect at all. I copied the 9.2 configuration down to the last line.

The modem firmware loads properly so I know it's not the modem. It's when I do "pppd call adsl" that nothing happens. In 9.2 if there's an error it shows up in "connect-errors" log, but nothing shows up in 10.0 so I don't know what's wrong. :wall:

Is anybody having the same problem? Has anyone used Alcatel Speedtouch in 10.0? btw, this 10.0 is not updated, since it can't access the internet!

Edited by arthur

The modem firmware loads properly so I know it's not the modem. It's when I do "pppd call adsl" that nothing happens. In 9.2 if there's an error it shows up in "connect-errors" log, but nothing shows up in 10.0 so I don't know what's wrong. :wall:

Found this on Linux Questions -

With kernel 2.4.x I used the module driver (as stated above), with kernel 2.6.x I use kernel driver (modem_run has -k option).

I have a 1024k/256k aDSL line and it works like a charm.

The only "not so fine" thing is that I have to tell "sleep 20" after launching "modem_run -k -f /path/to/my/firmware", so that "pppd call adsl" works.

Don't know if this helps, but I hope you get it working as I'd like to move up from 9.1 - with my green frog - when 10 becomes official.

:)

I'll try it. Been having strange problems recently. If I can load the speedtch module, I can't load the firmware. If I can load the firmware, I can't load the speedtch module. :wall::furious3:

This happens inexplicably between reboots. Like exclusive OR - if they would just come together, I can get it working :wall:

#modprobe speedtch -v

install /bin/true

now what in the world does that mean?

#modprobe speedtch -v

install /bin/true

now what in the world does that mean?

Using 'info true'

`true' does nothing except return an exit status of 0, meaning "success".  It can be used as a place holder in shell scripts where a successful command is needed, although the shell built-in command `:' (colon) may do the same thing faster.  In most modern shells, `true' is a built-in command, so when you use `true' in a script, you're probably using the built-in command, not the one documented here.

Can't think why true isn't installed - it's included in the coreutils package.

Found this bug report for drakconf. The solution given is -

speedtouch only works in kernel mode on 2.6.x kernel.

thus you need to remove any speedtch reference from /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf

latest speedtouch and drakxtools already fix that.

This seems to confirm what I said above, and may explain the firmware/module conflict you described. If you could get the updates, you probably would have fixed it! :)

Problem solved. The "install /bin/true" is just the reply you get if you put "alias speedtch off" in modprobe.conf. I removed that - bad idea.

Now it works, and I don't even need to use kernel mode. Now hopefully this green frog/stingray can stomach downloading 300+mb of updates for 10.0CE. I'm doing it now.

Now the stupid thing is I wasn't also able to connect because of the stupid firewall. It only opened ports on eth0, not on ppp0. :furious3:

It's 2 am, got to get some sleep. :zzz: