Checkinstall failing

Andrewski

Hmmm...that was just a tip I'd seen on alt.os.linux.mandrake that seems to be working for people with 10.0. I hadn't tried checkinstall on my test box with 10.0CE yet before it had to be called into service for other (Windoze) purposes and I haven't cobbled together enough spare parts yet to build another tester for 10.0, so I so I can't troubleshoot it myself right now. My main box still runs Mandrake 8.2 with checkinstall-1.5.1 and /usr/lib/rpm/macro has no such entry. There is no 'man checkinstall', but looking at /usr/share/doc/checkinstall-1.5.1/README (which is really the manual) is no help 'cause - no surprise - %_unpackaged_files_terminate_build 1 is not mentioned.

Anyway, bottom line, I'm not sure what the point of the change is, I just know it's worked for some people so I passed it along and thought it might do it for you. Sorry it didn't work. Maybe try reading the manual for your version, it may explain it, or do some Googling I guess.

well, you can try to find distros with precompiled packages for your programs...or try installing them without checkinstall. "make", the gcc compiler should be present in all linux distros.

gentoo is great, but only if you have a fast computer and connection. Emerge is a little bit like checkinstall :)

Yeah, I do a lot of uninstalling/installing and so I don't want to install any programs without a way of keeping the system clean. I know I could do a 'make uninstall', but I don't like the idea of having to keep the source around. Checkinstall was perfect... until it stopped working.

Other people have gotten checkinstall + 10.0 working, so I'm sure a little Google time will find the fix. No biggie. You can do it.

As for Gentoo...for grins, a lillte while back I put Gentoo on my test box before wiping it to install 10.0CE. Mostly just wanted to se if I could do it. Had it working fair, some bugs I woulda had to work out had I left it on, but I just wasn't impressed for all the trouble and time. Sorry, Gentoo people. It's obviously good, but...these days I'm actually a little more tempted by Slackware, and I may give it a shot on the next test box before installing 10.0 (10.1?).

Likely I'll just stay with Mandrake on the main box. Hard to beat urpmi for easy installs. Lotsa pre-compiled stuff available. Nice community support for Mandrake.

The other thing I really like about MDK is that since there are several users on this, each user can login and get anything they want, from XP-style GUIs with KDE to my kinda Slack-style mostly text-apps, CLI and Fluxbox/Ratpoison setup. Of course, that can be done with any distro, but Mandrake makes it very easy to setup that kind of flexibility for very different users.

Edited by Crashdamage