rpmdrake looking in the wrong place

Kylotan

Simply put, I installed Mandrake 9.2 from a DVD, but when I try to add new packages, it prompts me to insert the disc into the CDROM drive. Obviously this will never work. :) How can I change it to look in the correct place? I assume this is part of rpm or urpmi's setup somewhere.

why did you use a DVD for the ISO's? :juggle:

ok....moot point. here's what i'd do..........

if i'm understanding correctly, MCC is looking for a CD in your CDROM, but you need to use the DVD player instead. so...........

go to MCC (Mandrake Control Center)->software media manager. try the easier method first. this should work. if it doesn't then try method 2, to follow...........

first, insert MDK CD1 in your DVD player, mount it (unless you have supermount enabled, then ignore that). select your CD1 source in MCC, then select "edit". at URL: it should say "removable://mnt/cdrom". change that to say "removable://mnt/dvdrom" (or whatever your DVD is called under /mnt) (also, no quotes "" surrounding the words) click "save changes" & it should rebuild your hdlist from the new source location. unmount the DVD, insert another & follow the same procedure for each additional DVD. when they're all done, click "ok". you should be good to go.

if not, then do the following..........

again, in MCC->software media manager, select each CD source & click "remove". once they're all gone, insert the DVD, mount it if neccessary, click "add". choose "local files" as type of medium, give the source a name where it says "name" (you can put anything there, but try to keep it simple, like MDK CD1, CD2, etc.), and then follow the rest of the instructions i listed above for each additional DVD.

hope that helps..........

Chris

Edited by chris z

just had another thought...........

do you have a cd burner? if so, just reburn the ISO's on to CD's, then you won't have to change anything in MCC.

Chris

I didn't burn and in fact don't own the ISOs; the distro came on a DVD that was free with a magazine.

I was able to change things as you suggested (once I found Mandrake Control Center! There's no entry for it installed by that name on my menu, unlike in 9.0) and now I can install packages, although it does complain of a bad signature for everything from the dvd.

Ehm, guys, the much easier way is to adapt the file:

/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

to point to the correct device. I'm not sure what it looks like since I messed with mine to install from my hd (where I have mounted my iso images then point to them - see my website, configuration page).... but it should be something like: /mnt/cdrom which you will have to change to /mnt/cdrom2 ...