How do I upgrade the MDK kernel

judland

Okay, here's something I've never done before and I'd just like someone here (who knows how to accomplish it) to give me a play-by-play on how to upgrade my kernel.

Recently I installed MDK 10.0 Community. Everything works except for my printer. I've discovered that it was a bug with the MDK kernel.

I'm now informed that the lates kernel (2.6.3.5mdk) has the problem licked, and to get my printer working, I should get the new kernel from the Cooker.

So, how should I go about doing this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Well, I seemed to have found an RPM source, as I browsed through Mandrakes Cooker web site. In a directory I found an RPM file called "kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm" Would this be a file that I'd need to do this upgrade to my existing kernel?

Am I on the right track?

Please note that if you compile drivers or such on your machine, (like nvidia drivers) you must also install the matching kernel sources. kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm

Thanks for the replies.

So, am I right in concluding that downloading the rpms (including the source file) I've found, and running the commands....

# urpmi kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

-and-

# urpmi kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm

....will successfully get the latest kernel up and running on my Mandrake 10.0 box?

I'm also guessing that I'll have to re-install (or re-compile) my Nvidia 3D driver, correct?

I've seen other instructions, I've found by searching Google, that mention something about altering my /etc/lilo.conf file. Would this still be required? If so, what kind of alterations to the file would I have to do?

Edited by judland

if you use urpmi and that kernel and kernel-source is in your rpm sources then you don't have to manually dload them as urpmi will do it.

If you dload them open a terminal>su to root>cd to the dir they're in>rpm -ivh kernel<version>.rpm and do the same for the source.

rpmdrake is a gui frontend for urpmi.

Yes, you'll have to uninstall the nidia driver from the old kernel and install for the new.

You lilo.conf will automatically be updated. Just look for the new entry upon reboot.

Okay, well, I've had some success but a few problems came about while I upgraded the kernel.

First of all, my HP printer now works perfectly! :D

Now, I have to try and get my Nvidia 3Dsupport going again. When I go up upgrade to the new kernel source (using the commands mentioned above), I get an error that says...

"file /usr/src/linux from install of kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.3-4mdk"

Is there somesort of un-install I have to do first? Do I need to remove the /usr/src/linux sub-directory?

The only other problem I seem to have is with my Zip Drive. Seems as though "supermount" doesn't know how to read the media type anymore. I did notice that, during boot-up, there is a message now (that wasn't present before) that says...

"Mounting local filesystems: mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

Any advice?

I d/k about the zip but for the kernel problem open a terminal and as root do;

mv -f /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux.old

(or whatever you want to call it) You'd then be renaming the 'linux' symlink to the old kernel-source making it a broken symlink, but if you ever need to rename (mv) it back, it'll be good again. Now see if the new kernel-source will install. If not, and you're installing manually, do;

rpm -ivf --nodeps kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm

It should make a new 'linux' symlink to the new kernel-source.

Hey, thanks for all of your help.

This time, though, I couldn't make any progress. The same message comes up every time I try to upgrade my kernel source. I even tried moving the entire /hsr/src directory to a /usr/src.old. Same message each and every time....

"file /usr/src/linux from install of kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.3-4mdk"

Drat!

Well, I feel kind of silly. Can it get any simpler than that?

Thanks everyone for the help.... un-installing the kernel source and re-installing the updated version worked perfectly! I may get to know the ins and outs of Linux yet!

We're back up and running. :thumbs:

I'm really glad to be part of the Linux community.

Glad to have ya!!!

If you ever want or need to retain the integrity of a kernel-source tree or just want to back it up (give linux.old any name you want);

cd /usr/src

tar -czf linux.old.tar.gz /usr/src/linux/

When it's done do

ls

and you'll see

linux.old.tar.gz

I also want to add that urpmi, rather than rpm, will ask you if you would like to uninstall a conflict, and if you give it premission, will do it all in one step. B)