Cant install v10

chrisdicko

Hiya, im new to linux, as you will soon know! lol

Ive currently got WinXP Pro installed, and am wanting to dual boot with Mandrake.....but am having problems.....

I reboot, with CD1 in, and it brings up the Install screen, where you can press enter, or F1. I press enter, and the loading bar just below the menu loads....then it goes on to a black screen, but then just hangs. So i tried pressing F1, and trying the expert install. but this happens again. The exact same thing happens with CD2.

My spec is:

Laptop

P4 2.8GHz

512Mb DDR RAM

Radeon Mobility 9000

XP Pro

60Gb HD, partition in to:

>7Gb for WinXP

>15Gb for Programs

>25Gb for STUFF...wanting to share with mandrake

>10Gb currently empty, and wanting to install mandrake on here

So, can you say what im doing wrong??

Thanks in advance!

:help:

There is a glitch with the installer. Put in the second cd, boot, and when it says so, insert the first cd. That'll get you started. Be warned: As soon as you have linux working, get all of the updates, including the latest kernel. You'll be alot happier.

try hitting F1, and typing "linux acpi=off noapic" and start like that. Also, search here for your video card. Might be another idea.

Edited by Ixthusdan

Tried that cheers.....and it did get further, but still just froze. This is the 1st time ive actually seen anything after hitting enter.

I tried both text vga=normal, and just vga=normal, with both discs....and quite a lot of random text got displayed, and at the end of it was:

Kernal Panic: Attention to kill init!

Does that mean anything to you?!

Ive had a look through other posts, but cant really find anything related to my problem....only something on a slightly different gfx card....and the person solved it by using:

linux idebus=133

but this still didnt work :(

:help::help::help::help: .....please!

Edit: Ive also tried that md5summer program to check my ISO's, and they are fine :)

Edited by chrisdicko

kernel panics are usually bad iso's or bad burns. Try a new burn, with different media. If the md5sum is good, then the iso's are ok.

Perhaps try "linux nodma", incase the harddrive is an issue. In fact, do all the switches we have listed!!

Chrisdicko

This probably won't be much help, but I'm also a newbie and been going through hell trying to install MDK9.2 all week on a machine without any luck at all. Although I get through the install/config process, it won't reboot to the desk top and hangs up almost immediately. I have also been advised it may be to do with the graphics/vid card - but can't find the issue.

Funny thing is, I've tried to install, using the same disks on three machines - one to absolutely no avail, and the other two have been succesful - though they have been through different install processes - i.e. one installed the wizard, the other didn't. It's got me beat.

The one which won't install I've had the machine in bits, installing on minimum hardware spec and it's had 4 cd roms to install ...and still no joy.

But the disks obvioulsy work so it must be either a hardware/config issue somewhere, but it puzzles me as to how the install process hasn't been generic.

Hang in there, and search the other boards and hopefully soon you'll be up and running.