Can't reboot 9.2 after install

ChrisM

:help:

Very new, stressed, know-nothing Mandrake newbie here!

I'm not getting very far with other boards - maybe its me and the way I've compliled my problem, but would really really appreciate some kinda advice, because I really really want to give Microsoft Windows the boot and install my boxed Mandrake 9.2. From the reviews, Mandrake 9.2 was the distro for the inexperienced, with easy installation. From what I'm reading again, there seems to be a fair mix of those who found the install easy and those who have problems. I have problems, and have no idea how to overcome - and I have no linux command line experience.

:wall: The problem - I've had a week of very late nights so far this week! :zzz:

I install following the auto process on the install disks. I don't want to partition and dual boot with Windows so I followed the disk (and followed the Starter Guide book) autoselection/default settings process - though I did make the option to 'erase entire disk' - to erase data/partitions and replace with Mandrake.

My PC has an Intel Celeron 500 MHz processor; a 40GB Hard drive and has a PS2 wheel mouse.

Installation and configuration seemed to run very smoothly and at the

end of the process, as requested, I removed the CD and went to reboot. This is where i am facing problems - it never allows me to login in order to get to the desktop, in fact I don't think it properly reboots.

The reboot starts with a lot of script quickly filling the screen. he

following script follows :

Mounting proc filesystem [OK]

Setting default font (lat0-16) [OK]

Welcome to Mandrake Linux 9.2

Press 'I' to enter interactive startup

Running DevFs daemon [OK]

Unmounting initrd: [OK]

Configuring kernel parameters: [OK]

***Hangs up so Here I press CTRL-C***

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5

/etc/rc.d/rc: line 73: /var/run/runlevel.dir: Read-only file system

Starting iptables: [OK]

Checking for new hardware [FAILED]

Touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/harddrake': Read-only file system

Setting network parameters: [OK]

Bringing up loopback interface: [OK]

Bringing up interface eth0: [OK]

Touch: cannot touch 'var/lock subsys/network': Read-only file system

Starting partmapper: [OK]

Touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/partmap': Readonly file system

Starting system logger

***Here, just a few seconds later, it hangs up again, CTRL-C is no use. If

Left alone, approx 5 minutes later then the following prompt on a fresh

black screen follows***

(none) login:

***here, user name is entered and a request for a password is then made

which is followed by the following text (a lot of text suddenly appears

and I'm certain this is the first two lines***

Authentication failed - cannot start X server.

Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

*** A whole bunch of text appears and using root brings about similar

results (the screen has just blanked so I cannot copy the text) Is there

enough info here to show why I cannot get to the graphical interface? If

so, is there an easy way to resolve this? I'm brand new to

Linux/Mandrake and have only had the misfortune of using MS Windows.

If any assistance can be offered in order to let me get to the desktop, I'll be

forever grateful - I really want to get to use Linux*** [/b] :help:

Hi Chris,

I'm also quite new to Linux, but I installed Mdk 9.2, and it works fine.

Prior to the end of the install procedure, you should have seen a screen with many different parameters (Language, Sound, Video, etc.) When I installed, I had to modify some of these parameters to suit my machine. Perhaps this is where your problem lies (?)

That "script quickly filling the screen" is simply the boot procedure. It is usually hidden behind a graphical screen, so it seems you may have missed the graphic setup...

Marc

welcome to the board ChrisM!

as lockjaw suggested, I would look at the overview at the end of the install and check specifically the graphic settings which are there-you may need to go into them and make sure they are setup correctly.

on the first boot after an install-be patient! there's a lot going on often, and it may seem to "hang" at points- when really it's just doing stuff in the background.

thanks for the replies

however, after almost a week, the problem still persists :wall: after an install and config it refuses to reboot to let me get to the desktop.

I've checked the graphics settings (it was always on Intel 810 as default) anyway, have altered it to the nearest I have and still it refuses.

I've installed at least six times; I've used 4 different cdroms in case it wasn't reading properly; I've taken out the ethernet card in case of config issues; I've installed and taken out a new graphics card for the same reason. I always end up with exactly the same result :unsure:

I looked in BIOS - could it be due to not setting an IRQ to the VGA?

(I know its not the disks cos I've installed mdk on another 2 machines (though the install procedure was a little different with the wizard missing on one of them - however, on both machines I can get to the desktop.)

you should try Knoppix if you're having trouble with hardware. It's a Linux distro that runs entirely from the CD, and it's good for hardware troubleshooting as as a rescue disk.

you can see some mirrors in http://www.linuxiso.org

Once you're a full Linux user (mandrake or otherwise) you can use Knoppix as a Linux demonstration to your friends. :D

What security level are you installing with?

If all other vidiio setups fail try using the genaric VESA driver and make sure the monitor is set correctly.

The VESA driver is the driver used during the install. So if you have a graphic install you have a usable VESA driver.

OK

I'll get some of the hardware info and post later on when I get home. In the meantime, I've read lots of wonderful things about using Knoppix as a recovery system, or one which is able to configure hardware issues.

I've ordered a copy on its way to me in the next day or so (hopefully) trouble is, there is no user manaul and it doesn't appear there is one available to download or buy online?

Does anyone know how to use Knoppix to dtect and repair configuration issues? Step by Step process appreciated - as a complete know nothing newbie I've been a little flustered these past few days.

I want Linux not windoz but I've got to be able to start gently.

Thanks in advance.

Here goes

Well, still reporting exactly the same problem as I've been facing solidly for a week now.

My PC has an Intel Celeron 500 MHz processor; a 17GB Hard drive (and not 40 as mentioned previously - don't know how I came to that assumption earlier) and has a PS2 wheel mouse. The motherboard is a Soyo SY-71WM/L1.0 which is apparently Linux compatible (confirmed on Soyo web site - though it mentions nothing of Linux that I can see/find on the support CD) Seems to have graphics card built integrated AGP VGA, using Intel 810 chipset.

I've reinstalled MDK 9.2 so many times its unbelievable.

I'm setting security as standard; on the summary screen of installation, I've tried zillions of re configuration around the graphics card, including vesa, SVGA, various intel options... - I've even installed an additional card and still I get exactly the same screen where it hangs in the same place (see first message of this thread).

During one of the re configuration sessions, I CTRL+ Alt+F1 and got the following text:

uninstall2: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server:9.0.

If I reboot, and CTRL+C when it initially hangs up, I'm eventually prompted for a user name and password and I end up with the following text:

Authentication failed - cannot start X server.

Perhaps you do not have console ownership? giving up.

xinit: no such file or directory (errno2): unable to conenct to X server

xinit: No such process (errno3): server error.

xauth: creating new authority file/home/user/.Xauthority

it prompts me for a user name and password which it then does not recognise (although they are DEFINITELY the correct one's).

I'm staring to pin my hopes on my iminent arrival of Knoppix, though I have absolutely no idea on how to use it as a hardware config tool though I would prefer to overcome this problem without Knoppix if possible.

This has been a very very long 8 or 9 days of tried installation.

Back again

I'm beginning to thinks that I'll never get Linux on board.

Ok, so I got me a copy of Knoppix 3.3 Live CD when it loads to the page with the boot prompt, I hit ENTER; I'm then informed that:

You passed an undefined mode number.

Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs

If I hit return I'm given 7 options: 0-6

If I wait minutes...nothing happens

Hitting space gives me the same as choosing an option between 0-6 which is:

Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0...

Total memory found: 125600 kB

Creating /ramdisk (dynamic size=96716k) on shared memory...Done

Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...Done.

Starting init process.

INIT: version 2.78-Knoppix booting

and then it just hangs

(Note: the HDD is just at 1gig as a 'test' - in a previous machine it was able to load MDK - I just wanted to rule out that the 17gig drive wasn't the problem.)

So, the machine can't/won't boot MDK 9.2 (see thread for details)

and it won't boot Knoppix.

And I thought that these were the newbie favourites for *easy install*

My machine is in pieces, the motherboard is supposed to be Linux compatible (see previous message in this thread) and I absolutely cannot get Linux to install.

Any idea's how I can at least use the Knoppix to troubleshoot the hardware? I'm having lots o late nights, I dream constantly about this and i'm starting to go ga-ga

:screwy: !!!!

Whilst I really would love to have the mdk I fear the worst , the stuff of nightmare, and my XP loving mate will be watching like a vulture for a return to W$ :lol2:

is it a config issue? as a newbie I'm totally lost and starting to feel exhausted. Please, somebody help!

when lilo appears, press Esc, then type

linux noapic vga=normal

and/or

linux noapic acpi=off vga=normal

btw, I really don't think your video is the prob. Set anything plugNplay in the bios to not be plugNplay.

Edited by bvc

Make sure anything onboard the MB not used is turned off in the bios. Make sure the motherboard is not set to share vidio memory. Make sure the drive jumpers are set correctly(shooting inthe dark on this one)

Make sure on install you make a user+password and root+password.

If logging in as a user doesn't work try logging in as root.

Well I've now tried all these options and there is no way that I can install Mandrake 9.2 (I've also tried Knoppix and Lindows - and nothing!). Thanks though to bvc and Pzatch's last messages, I'm hoping that I've identified the problem and am kicking myself for not picking this up earlier.

I went into BIOS and guess what - there is NO option to shut down PnP - I looked in the manual and it clearly shows screenshots in the PnP menu allowing enable/disable.

I'm onto Soyo about this (also, their .COM website shows that the motherboard model I have is only supported by Windows. However, the exact same model, on their Taiwan site shows that Linux is supported - Mad or what :screwy: ?)

I'm also looking at getting a BIOS upgrade from Award. Geez, this has been a long run , but hopefully getting there soon.

After almost 3 weeks, success :headbang:

The Penguin has landed - well, partly.

Following the horrors :evilmod: as outlined in this thread, Mdk 9.2 has finally been installed smoothly after getting the BIOS upgrade. It went on like a dream. :P

So, being a newbie newbie, as you might be able to imagine I was well pleased this morning.

Though, this Linux conversion is still proving to be somewhat of a rollercoaster ride.

I wanted to start a network - using 2 pc's and an old brick of a pc with a 1 gig HDD to act as a router - which installed first time with mdk! Owning a speedtouch 330, I anticipated problems with the install. However, I didn't expect on switch on that the USB would billow with smoke from the USB socket, the modem cable went really hot suffering some damage also to the USB connection; the motherboard went dead - so, no more router.

Instead we tried to install the speedtouch the 17gig machine; a friend who has some Linux experience, just could not get the Speedtouch to install, so I've temporarily had to abandon hope of accessing the WWW through MDK - unless there is an automated/V easy process of installation somewhere. Sorry, I'm still used to the handholding that M$ does, and admit that I'd prefer the CD install option here.

My own PC currently runs on dirty M$ ME :devil: - a truly awful bit of kit. Backing up vital email last night also ended in disaster as I managed to lose the .pst file :oops: and now need to try recovering this lost file.

So, whilst a big victory was made with installing on a machine which originally looked like it was never gonna accept mdk, this has been set back with a mini disaster, and worse - still being stuck with running M$ until I'm able to find a way to a pain free modem install. :devil::oops:

ah well, onwards and forwards.