Samba Server dropping conenction to XP machines

Guest HoLY_SpRt

Guest HoLY_SpRt

I'm running Mandrake 9 as a Samba server for several Windows desktops.

Security is set to share with no user validation.

The Samba server is not controling the windows boxes in any way, that is

they all connect to the internet through a swich and all recieve ip's via my

isp's dhcp server. There is no firewall between the Samba server and the windows boxes.

Samba works well initially although getting a file list is slow. The problem is that it seems to intermittantly drop connection to the windows boxes. This sometimes happens during a file transfer which tends to lock up the windows machines. The only way to get the windows machines to see the Samba server again is to restart the server's network services. Restarting Samba service does not do the trick.

What's even more weird is that the web server and ftp server on the Mandrake box work all the time. It's only Samba that is effected by the bug.

I'm extremely stumped on this one and appreciate any nuggets of wisdom. :roll:

You will get no help from me sorry, i have as little to do with XP as possible, so i don't know most of it's "features".

I was just going to add that i have seen a similar thing in transfering from on 9.0 box to another 9.0 box using the apache server and wget or mozilla download manager on the client.

Transfering mandrake iso's , would get through 100mb or so then stall, if i opened another console and did a network restart on the client it would finish the file after an variable time period of inactivity.

On 100mbit ethernet lan, only machines running at the time.

Truly weird and annoying.

Guest HoLY_SpRt

I deleted the default smb.conf and used linuxconf to create a new one. The new one's lean and mean. No extra information in it. Very simple conf file. Works well, windows boxes see all the shares quickly, no more time-outs.

I still can't connect to the damnedable printer though. Windows boxes see the trusty old deskjet but get connection refused errors.

Once again searching for those nuggets of wisdom!!

I deleted the default smb.conf and used linuxconf to create a new one. The new one's lean and mean. No extra information in it. Very simple conf file. Works well, windows boxes see all the shares quickly, no more time-outs.

I still can't connect to the damnedable printer though. Windows boxes see the trusty old deskjet but get connection refused errors.

Once again searching for those nuggets of wisdom!!

hello

kedit /etc/samba/smb-winbind.conf

smbpasswd -a root

passwd:

passwd: samba root passwd

smbpasswd -e root enable user

/etc/init.d/smb {start|stop|status}

this one most u configure