Installed Mandrake 9 now... Still no mouse (like in 8.2)

Guest ikke

After my mouse wasn't working under 8.2,I installed Mandrake 9 on my PC (using text install). I downloaded the ISO of CD1, did an MD5 check (which was ok), and installed using floppy and CD. Everything went fine (altough I wasn't able to choose which packages to install). I rebooted my PC, and logged in as root. I had no mouse on the console, which was normal because gpm was not running (service gpm status gave an error), and appareantly it wasn't even installed. I did a startx as root, and got the Splashscreen of KDE. After a while I got a window telling me I had to be carefull because I was logged in as root. I took my mouse to press the 'Continue' button, and wasn't able because: no movement. So I did it using my keyboard. I closed KDE and started mouseconfig on the prompt. There Generic PS/2 mouse was already selected, so I chose OK. I started X again, but again no mouse. I rebooted my PC, and tried to cat /dev/psaux. result: No such device or address. I tried to start harddrake (like under MDK8.2), but harddrake wasn't installed appearently. I did urpmi harddrake, and then tried to start harddrake at the prompt. bash couldn't start it. So I did

cd /

find | grep harddrake

and it turned out to be harddrake2 now. So I started harddrake2, but got an error telling me it should be started under X. So I did startx, Alt-F2 and told to run harddrake2. Harddrake started, and when I got into the mouse page (which isn't really easy without mouse) there was one listed: /dev/ttyS0

More information:

Old device file: /dev/ttyS0

name: Generic 2 button Mouse

Number of buttons: 2

type: serial

and that's not right. I have a Logitech M-S34 PS/2 mouse, 2 buttons, no scrollwheel, not optical. So this information was completely wrong.

I got back to the prompt, and tried to start kudzu. Command not found. urpmi kudzu: no such packet found. I got back to my old MDK 8.2 CDs and Installed kudzu from there using RPM. I started Kudzu, it found my soundcard, my modem (altough both of them were already found during setup?), but no mouse. I removed kudzu again.

X says: Cannot find mouse. No such device or address.

Here is some more information from th KDE Control Center:

KDE Version 3.0.3

System Linux

Release: 2.4.19-16m (I can't read what's after this)

Machine: i586

This should be right I think. Im running a Petium 166 with 40 MB RAM.

I already used mousedrake, which says PS/2|Standard.

If you need more information, ask ahead. One more information: I installed Lilo on /dev/hde6 (my Linux partition) because I dualboot with Win95 (where my mouse works great). So when I boot I first get PowerQuest Bootmagic, than Lilo graphical and then Mandrake.

Maybe it's something wrong in my BIOS settings?

Thanks for any help,

Nicolas