New Laptop

Yes, at least with Dell laptops where this is true. The bug is that XFree is unable to properly communicate the amount of ram that the video card needs. This results in the BIOS only allocating about 640k - 1meg for the video card. This results in either XFree not working, or the monitor being run at either a decreased resolution or a decreased colour depth.

With all that said. There is a very easy fix for this problem. Check this website out and some of the links off of it.

http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/

This problem seems to be limited to BIOS changes that Dell has made and should not affect other computers though. But since you do not list the model or brand of the notebook that you are getting, I thought I would list the problem anyway. In addition, this problem is not particular to Mandrake 9.2, it affects every kind of Linux you would wish to install on the computer.

OK the unit I would be probly getting is a compaq 2195us or 2190us. The video card that it comes with is:Video Graphics

ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 4X AGP and 3D architecture

Video Memory

64MB DDR SDRAM (shared1)

This is all the specific info I can find out on the video card. I sent an email to compaq to find out which specifc chip set it is using but no responce yet.

Your best bet is to pay a visit to http://www.linux-laptop.net and look for the model that you are planning on buying. See what people's experience has been like installing Linux onto that notebook. If you can't find the exact notebook, there will probably be ones that are similar there.

• 2 weeks later...