HP psc 1210 now working with mandrake 10.0 CE

VeeDubb

i'm not usre exactly what the problem is, but it's somewhere in the kernel that came with 10.

If you have the 4 CD set that includes the 2.4 kernel and sources, then you can install that kernel and it al works fine. Burning to ide without scsi emulation seems to work even. (I'm guessing this is a cdrecord thing and not a kernel thing)

For now I m very happy as-is, though it would be nice to use a 2.6 kernel. I'm told it worked just fine under RC1, so maybe I can get a hold of that kernel an source...

For the record, I had the exact same problem with a PSC 1350. By going to the 2.4 kernel as VeeDubb described, I have the printer working again (it worked just fine in 9.2). Thank you VeeDubb for sticking with it and finding a fix.

Clearly this is a bug, but I cannot find any entry on qa.mandrake.com that covers it. As I cannot figure out how to post one myself, can someone post this bug or talk me through how to properly post this bug?

Eric, two things.

1. I have found a very simple way to make it work with kernel 2.6 despite the bug. All you have to do is this:

Let printer drake set it up with all the auto-configure options, this will make sure hpoj is installed and configured so you can scan.

Next, open up printerdrake, and delete the printer.

Thirds step, add it as a new printer, but uncheck ALL of the boxes for autodetection and when asked if it's a multi-function device, say "no."

Last but not least, reboot your computer AND the printer. I occasionaly find that nothing happens when I try to print, but simply rebooting the printer is all it takes to fix it.

I'm told that the compilation of kernel 2.6 that was used in RC1 worked just fine with the PSC series printers, so I'm sure it wil work again as soon as they release an update. And, it's not mandrakes fault. turns out there's a bug in the source for that particular revision or 2.6.3 wich is widely known and is allready fixed.

2. the 1350 is the one that's just like the 1210 but has memory card slots right? Can you access those in linux? Just curious.

VeeDubb, I have no idea how you figured your way around that! Well, I cannot wait to try it.

As to the multicard reader in the HP PSC 1350, it mostly works. In 10CE, it no longer automatically mounts the card upon insertion, but that is OK. I never could get the thing unmounted as Mandrake had it set to automount as root. I have not found the card reader stable or fast for large amounts of data. I use a 512MB compact flash instead of taking my computer home at night. If I try to transfer large amounts of data with the HP card reader it usually hangs. This might be because my linux box is using USB 1.1, but in any case I normally use a PNY card reader instead. I have NO problems with that.

I wish I could take credit, somebody over at the mandrake club figured it out first. Thanks for the info about the card reader. I wasn't likely to buy one anyway, given that I already have a 1210, but now I definately won't bother.

• 2 weeks later...
Eric, two things.

1.  I have found a very simple way to make it work with kernel 2.6 despite the bug.  All you have to do is this:

Let printer drake set it up with all the auto-configure options, this will make sure hpoj is installed and configured so you can scan.

Next, open up printerdrake, and delete the printer.

Thirds step, add it as a new printer, but uncheck ALL of the boxes for autodetection and when asked if it's a multi-function device, say "no."

Last but not least, reboot your computer AND the printer.  I occasionaly find that nothing happens when I try to print, but simply rebooting the printer is all it takes to fix it.

I'm told that the compilation of kernel 2.6 that was used in RC1 worked just fine with the PSC series printers, so I'm sure it wil work again as soon as they release an update.  And, it's not mandrakes fault.  turns out there's a bug in the source for that particular revision or 2.6.3 wich is widely known and is allready fixed.

2.  the 1350 is the one that's just like the 1210 but has memory card slots right?  Can you access those in linux?  Just curious.

I'm very impressed. I tried many different things to try to get my HP PSC 1210 to work, and eventually I reverted to the 2.4 kernel that is included in Mandrake 10ce.

This method you describe here works - except that you have to re-boot the printer.

As I say - I'm impressed. It would never occur to me to tell printerdrake that the printer was not a multifunction printer when it in fact is.

The only thing I note - on boot the module usblp (or something similar to that) still tries to be loaded and it still reports an error. Maybe this is the cause of the need to reboot ? Can I somehow blaclist this module ?

There is now an even better and simpler fix.

Just get a copy of the kernel form the update mirrors which ar noww up to AT LEAST 2.6.3-7mdk, and run that kernel. Then you get 2.6.3 AND a FULLY function psc device. The kernel csource is also available for that kernel, though you have to download and install it yourself.

There is now an even better and simpler fix.

Just get a copy of the kernel form the update mirrors which ar noww up to AT LEAST 2.6.3-7mdk, and run that kernel.  Then you get 2.6.3 AND a FULLY function psc device.  The kernel csource is also available for that kernel, though you have to download and install it yourself.

This works as well, and gives a better result.

Thanks to VeeDubb's advice here, I have now eliminated all but one of the problems I encountered when I switched to mandrake 10ce.

I am still unable to get my Netgear MA401 PCMCIA wireless network card to work on my laptop.