I know what's wrong with USB in 10.0

VeeDubb

There have been a lot of people complaining about various USB devices, mostly printers, mice and tablets, not working in 10ce.

The problem is that some program or kernel option is loading "default" kernel modules that are not correct.

Here's two examples.

Wacom Tablet, fuly supported in every kernel >2.2. It uses the 'wacom' kernel module. Mu mandrake keeps loading the usbmouse kernel module. To make it work, you remove both modules, and modprobe wacom. The problem is that when you reboot, it loads up usbmouse again and they conflict.

My printer is an HP PSC 1210. It only connects through USB, but it does not use the usblp kernel module. Instead, it just getts mounted like anything else in USB and then uses a special low level driver from HP called HPOJ (or ptal-init) The problem here is that whenever i start ptal-init, and the printer starts talking to the computer, mandrake sees it as a USB printer an loads up usblp which screw ptal-init and all I get is reems of blank paper.

What I need to do is dissable whatever is loading those modules for me. If I can do that, 10.0 will be the best version of mandrake I've ever run. If not, I have to roll back to 9.2 or 9.1 this weekend because I need printing.

• 4 weeks later...
There have been a lot of people complaining about various USB devices, mostly printers, mice and tablets, not working in 10ce.

My printer is an HP PSC 1210.  It only connects through USB, but it does not use the usblp kernel module.  Instead, it just getts mounted like anything else in USB and then uses a special low level driver from HP called HPOJ (or ptal-init) The problem here is that whenever i start ptal-init, and the printer starts talking to the computer, mandrake sees it as a USB printer an loads up usblp which screw ptal-init and all I get is reems of blank paper.

What I need to do is dissable whatever is loading those modules for me.  If I can do that, 10.0 will be the best version of mandrake I've ever run.  If not, I have to roll back to 9.2 or 9.1 this weekend because I need printing.

I have the same problem exactly with the HP PSC 1210 and kernel 2.6.3. You don't have to roll back to 9.2 - all you need to do is use the 2.4 kernel.

However, regarding the USB bug in kernel 2.6.3 - doesn't hotplug have a "blacklist" of modules - and can that be used here ?

Yes put what you do not want loaded in hotplugs blacklist (I think in /etc/hotplug/*) and put what you want to load in /etc/modprobe.preload (or what ever).

If that doesn't work disable hotplug, but then it's all manual. Not always a bad thing.

Edited by bvc

I haven't looked at this thread in a while. There's actualy a much simpler solution.

The 2.6 kernel that comes ith mandrake 10.0ce is version 2.6.3-4mdk. But you can get version 2.6.3-7mdk from the update mirrors. That kernel fixed all of my kernel related problems. The source code is also on the mirors, though you have to download and install it manualy.

there may actualy be something newer that 7mdk by now, but 7 works

I haven't looked at this thread in a while.  There's actualy a much simpler solution.

The 2.6 kernel that comes ith mandrake 10.0ce is version 2.6.3-4mdk.  But you can get version 2.6.3-7mdk from the update mirrors.  That kernel fixed all of my kernel related problems.  The source code is also on the mirors, though you have to download and install it manualy. 

there may actualy be something newer that 7mdk by now, but 7 works

I have the 2.6.3-7 kernel installed and usb still doesn't work after a reboot.