Newbie just starting out

n4rut0

:help: Hey guys, can anyone help me.

I'm new with mandrake. i just start use linux last week coz my friend suggested me to use that. My problem is i still dont know how to install the software(sounds silly :P ).

Can anyone help me with that? Or is there any links that have the tutorial for Mandrake?

I had a look to some of the sites but didnt help me at all

I'm using mandrake 9.2

Thanks guys

n4rut0

This is from memory, so maybe I forget a step somewhere, but if you look around a bit, you will find it.

Installing software in Mandrake is quite simple. Look in the menu's for the MCC (Mandrake Control Centre). Open it (you will have to give in the root password), and go to rpmdrake (with the green +). Then you can fill in the name (or part of it) of the package you want to install. It will search in the list of packages it knows (depends on the sources for packages that it was given, you can add sources to it, see the Penguin Liberation Front for more info).

It will give you a list of packages with the search term, select the ones you want (you can install a whole lot of software at the same time), and click install.

Mostly this works like a charm.

Alternatively, you can search for a rpm package you want from sites like rpmfind (there are probably better ones), and search for a Mandrake 9.2 rpm of your soft. Then download it, just open it from Konqueror (your root PW will be requested), and the soft will be installed.

There are other ways, more powerfull, via command line commands. But for a newbie, the above will be easier.

Just some infor on rpms: rpm comes from Red Hat Package Manager. As Mandrake is a fork of Red Hat, it uses this technique as an installer. It is a package that knows where on the system it needs to install what files. The installer (e.g. rpmdrake) does that for reading the required info from the rpm.

This makes soft installation dead easy.

Hope this helps,

Sitor

To install... just double-click the rpm files. As a newbie, I would recommend sticking with Mandrake rpms too, until your more familiar with the system.

AS for the modem, what is it ??? Most likely its a winmodem and will need a driver. (this one won't be a Mandrake rpm, but...) Haven't dealt with these lately... having cable now... and Mandrake sets it all up for me now.

Good Luck!

Sorry, I've only moved to Mandrake after having ADSL (I'm still a newbie myself), so can't help with dial up modems.

You can always try a search on this board. Pretty sure it will have been discussed already.

Good luck and much fun with Mandrake (you made a good choice),

Sitor