MDK10CE "bugs?"

Guest kryo

Just Installed MDK10CE.

Anyone experience these?:

1.) Video problem: Colors blue and yellow get inverted (for the video output) if I run Tvtime and totem in the same session. Problem not existent if I run TVtime only or totem only for the session.

2.) RPMdrake problem: Software packages removal -> Leaves only, sorted by install date: packages are not sorted properly. Latest installed packages are sorted right in the middle instead of on top.

3.) Tvcard setup on MDK contrl center problem: clicking on Tvcard setup causes xawtv to be installed. Then, a dialog box "scanning tv channels" pops up, and just hangs there -> Tvcard control center then claims that xawtv isn't installed. After a reboot, I lose all sound. "can't find /dev/mixer" or something to that effect. No eth0 too.

4.) Totem wmv sound playback problem: wmv files video play ok, but sound is pure static. This problem was also present in 9.2, after I updated a couple of plf packages (xine-win32, win32 plugins, something with *win32*.*.rpm).

I also noticed some nasty things in MDK10CE. I would be pleased if somebody would report if having errors like these...

1) I have both XP and MDK installed side-by-side. When using Konqueror to view XP's NTFS partition - for example "/mnt/windows/" - and choosing "Icon view" or "Tree view" jams Konqueror totally...

2) It's wierd that RC1 & RC2 managed to find my built-in soundchip (VIA 8233 AC'97), but then 10CE required some tweaking and booting before I had sound...this problem should be fixed asap!

3) OK, I found from errata, that booting from installation CD#1 is impossible when using certain drives. My better guess is, that it's a motherboard related bug. Because I'm having Liteon's CDRW- and LG's DVD-drive which both failed to recognize CD#1. Or maybe I'm just having those two CD-drive models, which are incapable to recognize CD#1 :D

4) This is just a tiny-whiny-bug: KDE has a cool effect when moving a cursor on panel's icon, its size will at least be doubled. Well, it worked well until I made a second boot. Now I have tried to go back to "factory values" and turn that option on and off again, but with no success. :furious3: Damn. Mama, me wanna some eye candy!

Of course I'm a bit worried that I've found some bugs after only couple of hours tweaking and wandering in a wonderful world of Mandrake...but this should be still considered as a beta release, so there's still time...and BTW, ReiserFS seems to be quicker than extX. At least when turning power off shutdown is significantly quickier than before. Good job, guys!

if you guys haven't already, i suggest searching qa.mandrakesoft.com to see if your issues have been reported as bugs. if they have, be sure to vote that you're having the same issue. if not, then report them :)

@tyme

Yes, i updated with cooker right after mdk10ce installation. Base install missing a lot of things I use normally, so I updated right away.

But problem #3 Tvcard setup is screwed even before updating with cooker. Still no go after updating... -> qa.mandrakesoft.com it is. Thanks! :thumbs:

@Huerzo

Can't help you with your problems...:

1. I don't have winxp installed, I don't use kde either...

2. I don't have onboard via ac97

3. Have a sony drive and it boots fine :P

4. I don't use kde

--------------------

Another problem dating back to 9.2:

Rhythmbox > v.5 segfaults.. leaves no error messages... -> qa.mandrakesoft.com

3.) Tvcard setup on MDK contrl center problem: clicking on Tvcard setup causes xawtv to be installed. Then, a dialog box "scanning tv channels" pops up, and just hangs there -> Tvcard control center then claims that xawtv isn't installed. After a reboot, I lose all sound. "can't find /dev/mixer" or something to that effect. No eth0 too.

I have exactly the same issue and i haven"t found a solution yet. I posted the problem to the Hardware thread. If you got anything about it ,pls let me know.

Thanks!

@arthur

I didn't use mandrake update. Specified "ftp.club-inernet.fr" for main, contrib & plf urpmi repositories... 422megs ain't a lot if you've got broadband :D

It seems that 9.2 is much more stable compared to MDK10CE, which is normal because 10CE hasn't been finalized yet (i think).

@ Villa21

Still don't have a solution for that specifically. However, you could leave tvcard setup alone because mandrake normally detects tvtuners and loads the appropriate modules. You could use TVtime instead, which is preinstalled by default. It scans channels ok by itself, provided mandrake detects your tvcard fine. I only had a minor glitch. MDK wrongly detects my tunertype. So I just had to put a line that says "options tuner type=2" (for Leadtek Winfast TV2000) in /etc/modprobe.conf, and, walah! = TVTIME!

------------------

Still got another problem: Nautilus samba browser is kinda screwed. In 9.2, it asks for authorization only once. In 10CE, browsing, copying, moving, deleting files using Nautlilus' samba browser asks for 20+ authorization (uname & pword) dialog boxes. If you don't type in stuff for every dialog box, browsing fails. Anyone have this problem? I noticed I have a ~/.smb folder with smb.conf inside. Am I supposed to do anything with this to properly access windows shares?

@colnago

1.) Yep, cooker updates fixed the problem already.

4.) Nope, that doesn't solve the problem. But this does -> totem/xine wmv bug

@ arshadmomen

I think 10CE = cooker :D 10CE doesn't have online repositories yet. You have to use cooker. I'm also not sure those are srpms. Just plain updated mdk rpms.

I can't help you with the url, coz I've never used mandrake update.

But if you want, you could use urpmi -> Easy Urpmi

Just select cooker as your mandrake version, then select mirrors closest to your location, type in whatever it tells you to type in a console as root (one source at a time), wait for it to finish (Note: if you need your CDs as sources, dont type urpmi.removemedia -a. It removes your CD sources too.) . Start rpmdrake software installation, select "All packages, by update availability" from the dropdown list, and select whatever packages you need to update, or select everything instead :D and viola! Updates!

It sounds complicated, but it is actually very easy.