PATH mystery

keesiewonder

Somehow, sometime, I've messed up my PATH a bit and am trying to figure out where. What I've noticed is the PATH is always fine for root and is fine for susan at run level 3. At run level 5 (under either KDE or GNOME), it has an error in it that I'd like to fix. But I cannot figure out where it's getting its settings from. I theorize it has something to do with X initialization files ... but I have not been able to locate the culprit. Might there be possibilities other than X ... like other compiled programs? Do they alter the PATH sometimes?

I do not have a .bash_login or a .profile file. /etc/passwd, /etc/profile, ~susan/.bash_profile and ~susan/.bashrc all seem fine to me.

I'm running the shell from within KDE off the Terminal Sessions menu.

run level 3 path:

/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games

run level 5 path:

/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games

In run level 5, it sort of looks like some script

tries to pre-pend to the run level 3 path, but loses

the subdirectory name under /usr yielding /usr// .

Perhaps a second script does the adding of the current

directory evidenced by the ::

Where do you think my PATH is getting messed up? What other .files do I need to check?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am totally lost here, and at the risk of sounding stupid... I thought I would offer a thought anyway. Would running

# /usr/bin/ldconfig -v

help here?

I ran into this for something recently and this is supposed to update and fix your library paths. :unsure:

This may be a clue for someone. I just looked at my environment variables with env. The next to the last one displayed has a similar error in it.

_=/usr//bin/env

I'm not sure what is setting this weird? environment variable, but bet it is the same program that messed up my PATH.

And, bvc, here is /etc/ld.so.conf:

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib

Edited by keesiewonder