Mandrake 10

william

Hello everybody:

I've been trying to play around with other Distros in the last 3 months (Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, FC and Conectiva) and after many attempts to have Debian installed, I finally got Fedora Core (it has recognised lots of external devices I have attached to my box) which I've been using for 1 month.

Fedora is not that bad, but canno't be compared to Mandrake just for one reason:

Fedora doesn't have a discussion forum like the one we have. It's very difficult to share tips and tricks, improve your knowledge on linux and whatever. I used to spend much of my time on the weekends reading thread by thread in this forum and for sure it gave me a better background on the basics of linux.

I miss that time, but coincidentally, I was given 4 cds of Mandrake 10 (cooker) and I was anxious to get rid of FC1 from my computer and install MDK 10, but at the same time I have some doubts that I'd like to share with you and indeed receive inputs from your side.

1 ) What's the difference between MDK 10 Community and Cooker?

2 ) According to what I've noticed, MDK 10 is not a final release so, if I get MDK 10 installed and MDK 10 final is released, how to upgrade? Is it feasible to upgrade all the installed packages till the whole system becomes MDK final?

Looking forward to receive your inputs.

William

Edited by william

Hello

1 ) What's the difference between MDK 10 Comunity and Cooker?

If your cooker is up to date, no difference I think

2 ) According to what I've noticed, MDK 10 is not a final release so, if I get MDK 10 installed and MDK 10 final is released, how to upgrade? Is it feasible to upgrade all the installed packages till the whole system becomes MDK final?

The Community Edition is as final as any previous release were but well..

Yes I think that if you update your CE, it will become like an "Official" release.

As Mandrake moves closer to release time, cooker is the release. It is the only time that cooker could be called stable. The community release lingo is a way to appease a huge population of people that have been downloading Mandrake, providing input to bugs, but are not members of the club. Therefore, the last time a release came out, only club members initially had it. People complained, Mandrake might have actually listened to someone, and decided to do a community release for everyone. The final release will no doubt be available only for purchase or to club members. It's not a bad method to release the product.

I would never to an upgrade. Fresh install. Even updating from cooker can get quirky.

The final release will no doubt be available only for purchase or to club members.

Not so, it will be released (the isos) to all, but with a delay. Mandrake have stated that in their press release about the new development cycle.

As for cooker vs community - if your cooker cd's are 4 in total, my guess is this is the community edition. Just install (avoid "update") and keep it updated, and by the time Official edition comes out, you already run it.