how_to update your 10.0 CE

GodFlesh

Don't look for 10.0 repository of contribs or other. It will only be forked when the 10.0 official is released (nesxt month)

Use cooker !!!!

I'm still looking for a way to have club_commercial rpms anyway.

From cooker mailing list:

> I am confused with what I have read now. Apparently people are supposed to

> update community from cooker? So there is no more separate updates available

> as before?

>

Cooker is currently frozen, and is running in "update mode"...

So only bugfixes will be uploaded to it....

> What happens then when cooker diverges far enough? There should be some stable

> code base for 10.0?

>

It will have...

If you look at any mandrake-devel mirror you will se a cooker & contrib

wich is the same as now, and a stable & contrib-stable that will be

forked when MDK 10.0 Official is out and cooker reopens... (currently

they are only symlinks stable->cooker & contrib-stable->contrib...)

> Anyway - I cannot use software manager to installl updates; I have to download

> them to install offline. Could somebody give explain how to do it.

>

AFAIK there is no nice way right now...

but if you do a urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select on your system,

take note of the files it want to install, and you then download them

separately, you can do the actual update later offline...

> Anyway - I cannot use software manager to installl updates; I have to download

> them to install offline. Could somebody give explain how to do it.

>

AFAIK there is no nice way right now...

but if you do a urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select on your system,

take note of the files it want to install, and you then download them

separately, you can do the actual update later offline...

There is a nice way, but that involves only using the Cooker sources online as a urpmi source (which isn't too bad for anyone using Mandrake 10CE anyway). Here's an example of how to set it up (you must do this as root):

To get rid of your disks as sources:

urpmi.removemedia -a

Pleasenote that this board truncates the URL to conserve space and you will have to right click and 'Copy link location' to get that part right

Now add the web sources (I use a mirror from France in this example. Use a mirror closest to you):

urpmi.addmedia mdkCE-1 ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand...r/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz && urpmi.addmedia mdkCE-2 ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand.../Mandrake/RPMS2 with ../base/hdlist2.cz && urpmi.addmedia mdkCE-3 ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand.../Mandrake/RPMS3 with ../base/hdlist3.cz

Then, to update your entire system:

urpmi --auto --auto-select

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to add a Cooker contribs and/or jpackage source.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Using the MCC software management I've added an update_source, I had to pick a server from a list. Worked! Everything ok. It's a /Mandrake-devel/stable ... tree.

All fixes, updates are showing up. Almost every day 50 - 100 MB, mainly KDE.

(well, I don't perform an update, too much every day at the moment, and I have no major problem with my system)

But I browsed the packages, found a new evolution rpm, description: new release....

And there are more 'new version/new release' rpm's.

Do I have a wrong update_source?

Or are the versions in 10.0 not frozen?

Is it possible that 10.0 in May comes with newer versions?

Has anyone more informations on this?

--anna, confused

Cooker is frozen except for bug-fixes and security updates is my understanding. I can still grab updates from my regular cooker mirror and I can very well bet you that your update_source is nothing more than a symlink. It is still possible that 10.0 will come with newer pkgs, but if you update until it is released, they will be no newer than yours. After all, 10.0CE is just an RC, not the final.

Guest pipplo
There is a nice way, but that involves only using the Cooker sources online as a urpmi source (which isn't too bad for anyone using Mandrake 10CE anyway). Here's an example of how to set it up (you must do this as root):

To get rid of your disks as sources:

urpmi.removemedia -a

Pleasenote that this board truncates the URL to conserve space and you will have to right click and 'Copy link location' to get that part right

Now add the web sources (I use a mirror from France in this example. Use a mirror closest to you):

urpmi.addmedia mdkCE-1 ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand...r/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz && urpmi.addmedia mdkCE-2 ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand.../Mandrake/RPMS2 with ../base/hdlist2.cz && urpmi.addmedia mdkCE-3 ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand.../Mandrake/RPMS3 with ../base/hdlist3.cz

Then, to update your entire system:

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to add a Cooker contribs and/or jpackage source.

This may sound stupid, but where do i find teh list of mirrors?

I followed your instructions exactly, but i got an error after a whie, and then i tried to re run the

urpmi --auto --auto-select command again and i get this error...so i'm thinking maybe i need to try a different mirror?

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 19 or signal 0

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mandrake-devel/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/menu-2.1.9-20mdk.i586.rpm
...retrieving failed: curl: (19) Given file does not exist
Installation failed, some files are missing:
   ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mandrake-devel/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/menu-2.1.9-20mdk.i586.rpm
You may want to update your urpmi database

This is the list of mirrors for Cooker (which is where the pkgs for 10.0CE are):

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/cookerdevel.php3

The reason you get the error is, if you wait for too long after adding the sources to do urpmi --auto --auto-select they have already updated pkgs (this happens rather quickly in Cooker). Before you run urpmi --auto --auto-select run urpmi.update -a (I should have been more clear about that).

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire