Wireless PCMCIA configuration

Guest pipplo

Guest pipplo

MOD NOTE: Moved from Hardware to Laptops and Portable Devices by LiquidZoo

I got the drivers installed for my wireless card, and the card is recognized when I plug it in. It loads the drivers, and running iwconfig I can see that it is connected to a router (not mine but i'll work on that later)

The problem is when i run ifconfig only eth0 and l0 show up. But if i run ifconfig -a my wireless card shows up as atml0

My problem is I can't figure out what to do now, shouldn't eth1 show up now for my wireless card? How do I get the internet in mandrake to become associated with my wireless card and not eth0?

if i run ifup atml0 it tells me that is not found, so i guess my question is how to setup eth1 to point to the wireless card and assign an IP? Or maybe i have the wrong idea even

Thanks guys!

Edited by LiquidZoo

Give us a bit more info on your wireless card. What card is it? What driver are you using?

Also, have you checked in harddrake to see what the card might show up as? That's where I found ouut mine was eth1, sometimes it will show up as something else. Lots of people get wlan0 or something like that.

Also, you can run the network configure wizard on your card from within harddrake. That's the easiest way to set it up imo.

Guest pipplo

My card is generic but i had it working in mdk 9.2. It uses the atmelandriver, which compiles and everything. It works well cause when i do ifconfig -a I get

atml0

eth0

l0

and sit0

atml0 is the wireless card, and when i run iwconfig it shows that I am connected to a host named NETGEAR.

The problem is that I can't access the internet with this atml0, and it doesn't show up in my "network connections" tab in mdk so i don't know how to make the internet bind to atml0, it seems like I need to alias it to eth1 or something, but i'm not sure what I should be doing at the next step.

Basically

The card is recognized, and it connects to a router fine (apparently) but there is no eth entry in ifconfig which will allow me to connect to the internet using it.

In Harddrake the card shows up under ethernet card as

OEM 11mbps Wireless PCMCIA Card

Description: none

Old device file: atml0

Type: network

Howerver when I run the network config tool and choose wireless connection it doesn't show up as an option...

Edited by pipplo

I have been having horrendous problems getting my wireless card to work with 10CE. One thing that I can suggest is to make sure that the Hotplug option is turned off. If this option is checked, you will have no end of grief trying to get everything working.

Guest pipplo

a) Sorry about putting it in hardware, forgot about the laptops section

B) i finally got it working. Basically all I did was add a file to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

Filename: ifcfg-atml0

Contents:

DEVICE=atml0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

Then i unplugged the cable from eth0, and did ifup atml0, and all was well, so I guess it just needed a config file for atml0, and MCC wouldn't let me do that. Still doesn't let me alter it in MCC but it DOES give me the option to remove it.

Strange

Guest pipplo

I created a writeup of how I got it all working should I put it here? I'm not sure how popular the atmel driver is so I don't know how helpful it would be?