Finepix won't load

Vdubjunkie

Hello all,

I know I have already read a ton of posts on this topic, but still I cannot get my machine to even detect my camera. However, this very machine used to load the camera no problem with nothing special done to it by me but to plug the camera in and turn it on. This was prior to a reinstallation of the exact same 9.0 OS. I have added scsi_mod [usb-storage ....] i.e. Mass storage (/var/log/messages verifies this fact) and lsmod reports I already had usbcore usb-uhci ide-scsi as well as usb-storage all loaded.

Still, when I turn the camera on, it detects it is connected via usb, but the computer doesn't even give the slightest hint it is connected (i.e. tail -n 50 /var/log/syslog). .. and yes, this is enough to see the past several seconds. It shows the addition of the Mass Storage module being added.

Anybody have any other ideas? I've also done a "gphoto2 --auto-detect and usbview which didn't surprise me they didn't find anything since dmesg or /var/log/syslog should show it first.

you running mdk 9.x or 10 ?

I think some USB hotplug script was borked in the 9.x versions --- which would account for some of the problems I have read about. For some... there devices all work, for others, its been a different story. After installing 10, my problem device, among others, are starting to work again.

This was prior to a reinstallation of the exact same 9.0 OS.

I would be fine with that idea, but why then did it work with my last install of the OS with the exact same media even?

I'm not all fired up to "upgrade" to 10. I've never been a big one for "bleeding edge" on my desktops. I kicked and screamed all the way before jumping from win 95 to win 98!! :)

Ok,

First, I'm not at the machine, so I can't plug it in to see if this works, but I attempted to add the following modules which you listed and weren't loaded on mine..

usb-interface

ehci-hcd

usb-ohci

Now, the usb-interface didn't exist apparently, and the other two errored with the following:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/hcd/ehci-hcd.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/hcd/ehci-hcd.o.gz: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
     You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Of course, usb-ohci had it's own file mentioned, but other than that was identical.

As far as fstab I am pretty sure nothing needs to be there for it to recognize the camera from a module standpoint, just to use it for mounting after it is already recognized. In fact, I know I am using the same /etc/fstab file copied from the old install which worked on the new machine..

amazingly enough I had the piece of mind to do full backup before scrapping it.