DVD Burner and Mobo

Sarissi

This month I bought an NEC ND-2500A all in one DVD/CD burner. I installed into my computer and quickly learned that I had:

No Video

No Post Beep

No Post

and

No Boot

Needless to say, I was ticked and ranting. Well, I had a friend of mine bring over a computer to check the DVD Burner on that computer, and it WORKS!!

That narrowed the source of the problem down to one of two things

Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee Motherboard

ATI Xpert 2000 Pro AGP

Hmmmm.... What to do? I talked with my mom and she agreed to pay for a new mobo and video card (due to my income source and the fact that the purchase of the DVD burner, 25 pack spindle of DVD+RW, and 4 port manual KVM switchbox w/cables took me out of spendable cash this month)

So I got an NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE Dual VGA card and a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L nforce2 mobo. The shop only had nforce socket A mobos.

I just recently got done with the first test: Nvidia card on current mobo (chaintech) with NEC DVD burner connected. Result: Same Symptoms. Grrrrrr Problem narrowed down to Motherboard.

Tech support from the place I bought the burner from assured me that this Burner works with all Gigabyte mobos.

Now I got a bunch of 'fun': Nvidia card + Nforce2 + DVD burner + Mandrake Linux 9.1 Powerpack.

I will be using Win98SE to check in until I feel confident enough to do the installing and compiling and all that.

Any advice and/or help in terms for someone who has never compiled anything in linux would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

last time i had this happen i was missing a jumper on a set of pins on my motherboard. check your motherboard manual, and check your jumper pins, make sure they're all covered (and none are bent).

Tyme,

This only happens with this DVD Burner. Well, Win98SE gives me fits with the nvidia geforce card and my HP DeskJet 3820: out of memory in refernce to one of HP's printer files. So I went back to my ATI card for now. I was hoping for an 8X AGP nvidia and ended up with a 4X with OpenGL 1.3, when I wanted 1.4. I do better shopping on eBay..... :screwy:

Oh, I do hope that nforce chipset support in kernel 2.6.x allows more than the standard kernel, since I want at least 2 GB ram.

I am in windows at the moment and will likely go back to the other mobo (chaintech) so that I can happily run in mandrake 9.1, and just wait for mandy 10.0 official (powerpack) before I work with this mobo in mandrake. Alternate is to run a dedicated mandy box (chaintech) and keep the 61 GB hdds for another box. All I need is a cpu and a case.

Oh well..... The worst I can do is screwup the mandrake install via an attempt to install nforce2 support.

I shall make an attempt. (never done this sort of thing before.) :help:

Update:

I am back In Mandrake 9.1 Powerpack Edition on the Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Nforce2 motherboard. All I did was install the binary RPM provided by NVidia. I didn't do anything else. :headbang::cheeky::lol2:

I didn't think getting back on the internet was going to be this easy.

Now, if I install Win4lin, am I going to in for :wall: or what??