Mandrake 10: CD burning dead + Sound

Uiler

Hi, I just installed Mandrake 10.

Unfortunately my CD burning seems to be dead. It works fine in Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2. In fact I just used it just before installing to burn some backups. However k3b insists its writing speed is 0x. gtoaster just refuses to acknowledge its existence and eroaster also has troubles with it? Any ideas? I thought of putting scsi in lilo.conf, but then I remembered that we aren't supposed to do that anymore. Help!

I'm thinking it might have something to do with fstab?

The entry for my burner in my old 9.2 fstab:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

Now the entry for the same thing in 10:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

Any ideas? I really want my CD burner back as my computer is none too stable and I need to make regular backups :(

Edited by Uiler

it seems MDK 10 isn't recognizing your drive as being a burning, therefore not doing scsi emulation.

could you please post your /etc/lilo.conf? specifically we're looking for a line similar to:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

it seems MDK 10 isn't recognizing your drive as being a burning, therefore not doing scsi emulation.

could you please post your /etc/lilo.conf?  specifically we're looking for a line similar to:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Have you been in La-La land or have I had my head up my butt again? I thought one of the many selling points of mandy10 was that scsi emulation is no longer required as burning is now possible direct to ide.

IDE burning is still very experimental, ide-scsi burning is the tried and true method.

this, however, may be of some assistance.

you may also find running k3b-setup as root and changing the default speed may help resolve the 0x speed problem.

Edited by tyme

Hi!

Thanks for the replies. I tried copying my old fstab and lilo.conf to /etc. Though I had to change

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

to

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

for my CD burner to even read CDs. Now the lines in my lilo.conf go:

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

where previously they were

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

However it still has the same burning problems!

cdrecord -scanbus (as root)

gives the result:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a26-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support

Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.

Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.

Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.

scsidev: 'ATA'

devname: 'ATA'

scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2

Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.

Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.

scsibus1:

1,0,0 100) 'CyberDrv' 'CW099D CD-R/RW ' '130M' Removable CD-ROM

1,1,0 101) *

1,2,0 102) *

1,3,0 103) *

1,4,0 104) *

1,5,0 105) *

1,6,0 106) *

1,7,0 107) *

scsibus3:

3,0,0 300) *

3,1,0 301) 'ATAPI ' 'CD-ROM DRIVE-50X' 'G5CL' Removable CD-ROM

3,2,0 302) *

3,3,0 303) *

3,4,0 304) *

3,5,0 305) *

3,6,0 306) *

3,7,0 307) *

Now I went back to the lilo.conf and fstab that Mandrake 10 automatically set up. So no scsi emulation. Added "hdc=ide-cdrom" to lilo.conf so we have for example:

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-cdrom acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

Still no CD burning :(

I tried changing the default burning speed in k3b many times each time I change lilo.conf or fstab. Still doesn't work. As soon as you try burning something it pipes up with a message about not being about to support 4 speed and setting it back down to 0 speed.

is the prob. That will not work. It has to be more like your old 2.4 in fstab
/dev/scd0
do you not have one? or similar? You'd be the second I've read that happening to.

The 2.6 is not ready for prime time. Flipped my cdwr/dvd and screwed up my burning as well, but it I could get them to work. Just one at a time though.

is the prob. That will not work. It has to be more like your old 2.4 in fstab
/dev/scd0
do you not have one? or similar? You'd be the second I've read that happening to.

The 2.6 is not ready for prime time. Flipped my cdwr/dvd and screwed up my burning as well, but it I could get them to work. Just one at a time though.

Unfortunately, that *was* with the fstab and lilo.conf file from the 2.4 kernel ie. Mandrake 9.2 :( :( :(

How did you get your CD burner to work?

Unfortunately, that *was* with the fstab and lilo.conf file from the 2.4 kernel ie. Mandrake 9.2  :( :( :(

How did you get your CD burner to work?

I know, that's what I'm saying....you need a /dev/s?? in you fstab.

I had an /dev/scd0. I simply changed my fstab.

my cdrw=/dev/scd0

my dvd=/dev/hdc

my fstab was originally /dev/hdd and the bootloader hdd=ide-scsi

for some reason after changing fstab for hdd, hdc was no longer found. I could switch back to it but then the cdrw wouldn't be found.

I even tried converting my fstab to udev, but that didn't help. They still worked the same.....only one at a time.

I'm not running ml atm, and I'm not in a hurry to either. This is the reason.

Edited by bvc

I finally got CD burning to work!

I read this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...003/12/4/128037

It describes someone's problems with getting CD burning to work with 2.6 kernels.

Now the problem they describe is totally different from mine. However while they had problems with k3b, xcdroast worked.

I urpmi xcdroast and then it worked!

Yay!

On a note I tried k3b again. Yeah, it gave me the error message, cannot burn at 4 speed, switching down burn speed to 0x. This time instead of canceling, I thought, screw it, let it continue.

And it works. In fact as far as I can tell it *is* burning at 4 speed, though the messages it gives indicates that it just downgraded to speed to 0.

In summary:

Eroaster and gtoaster I think still look for scsi-emulation. Found that they don't work even *with* scsi-emulation, at least not on my system.

k3b does burn, just ignore the dire error messages it gives you saying that it can't/won't.

xcdroast works perfectly.

This is all w/o scsi emulation BTW. Actually when I turn on scsi-emulation things still are wonky.

But for some extra weirdness, after using the drive as a burner, automounting (I think it's magicdev now, not supermount) doesn't work. You have to manually mount that drive. Before burning: don't need to manually mount drive. After burning: You do.

And is it just me or could it be that part of the problem may be that Mandrake is using *too* bleeding edge stuff. Here's an example:

cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a26-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support

Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.

Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.

Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.

scsidev: 'ATAPI'

devname: 'ATAPI'

scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2

Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.

Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.

Warning: There may be fatal problems.

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.

scsibus0:

0,0,0 0) 'CyberDrv' 'CW099D CD-R/RW ' '130M' Removable CD-ROM

0,1,0 1) *

0,2,0 2) *

0,3,0 3) *

0,4,0 4) *

0,5,0 5) *

0,6,0 6) *

0,7,0 7) *

scsibus1:

1,0,0 100) *

1,1,0 101) 'ATAPI ' 'CD-ROM DRIVE-50X' 'G5CL' Removable CD-ROM

1,2,0 102) *

1,3,0 103) *

1,4,0 104) *

1,5,0 105) *

1,6,0 106) *

1,7,0 107) *

My favourite part of this is:

Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.

Warning: There may be fatal problems.

:) :) :)

Edited by Uiler

oh, and I have no clue why I didn't tell ya how I got both working but....

I used devfs instead of /udev by putting devfs=mount in the bootloader. I'm downloading ml-10CE now and will install tomorrow and see what it does I guess. Glad all is ok for you! Oh, and k3b did the same thing for me in ml-10-cooker....acted like it wouldn't work but did.

ML-10-CE

k3b won't even start, and won't give any errors....both default and updated pkgs. Devfs is still the default and udev isn't even intalled by default (don't need both). I've tried both......seems no matter what I try to do with my cdrw it just takes 10 years to do nothing, not work, and give no errors. Chalk one up for magicdev? mandrake? makes no diff to me. It's an rc (or at least not final) but as someone that never had a lick of trouble with supermount/k3b/devfs/ and fixable problems w/ udev/mandrake this is quite frustrating and annoying. Oh well, everything works in debian and suse :thumbs:

My MDK 10.0 works fine with cdrecord and cdrdao from the command line with:

dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 for cdrecord

--device ATAPI:0,0,0 for cdrdao

Of course you need to set other options specific for your burner type and the actual bus, target, lun it's on.

I gave up with any GUI for cdrecord and cdrdao a few months ago, even with 9.2 because they were all inheritably flakey.

Edited by Dr. Ephemeron

It's a funny thing this computer business.

I get Chateau Lafite you get No-name brand vinegar !

I downloaded mdk10rc1, I don't know the difference, if any, cf. mdk10CE.

I had no problem with K3b using gui.

I did get the 0x burning message in the output window, but no error and the burn was done at 10x, even though it says medium or burner does not support that speed (?)