10.0 CE ISO size and CD-R media

frosterrj

?

I just noticed that when I go to get some CDs to burn the images, all the packages only say 700MB/80 minutes, but the downloads are 711,000+/- KB in size.

So is there some magick that happend when the burning software burns to the CD or is there really CD media that comes in capacity larger than 700MB? Am I missing something?

Also, I had trouble booting from the 9.2 cds without having to use the Alt1 kernel on disk one (dell laptop with Toshiba 1902B cd rom module - no problem with 9.1 powerpack disks though) so has anyone had problems booting with similar hardware?

R

Don't feal bad, it get a lot of people, and few people can actualy explain why it is the way it is. If I got out my old CS textbooks I could tell you exactly, what it boils down to is that one of those numbers comes from the fact that most everything in the computer is in Hexidecimal (base 16) and we talk in base 10.

You run into the same issue with memory cards and hard drives. All manufacturers insist (incorectly) that a megabyte is 1000 KB and a GB is 1000MB, and of course, that is totaly wrong.

I think drive manufacturers insist on using base 10 so they can hype drive capacity: looks much better in advertising, than have to tell what your fdisk will see. :D

Oh, computers use Base 2, not base 16. Hex is used to make things more understandable to humans (in theory). :cheesy:

I ran into this problem trying to use Nero 6. I am more familiar with Nero 5.5 and my Cyberdrive CDRW burner. Tried to uninstall Nero 6/InCD4 and had to reinstall windows with the cyberdrive connected to get the burning done.

With Nero 6, it was an actual attempt to burn an image. With Nero 5.5 on a different burner (the joys of the OEM versions): no problems. Go figure. :screwy:

Sarissi, I'm deeply ashamed about you using windows...

:P

You're right on the binary thing. The problem is that 1024 is close enough to 1000 to get mixed up, but 1024x1024x1024 (GB) gets too far away from 1000x1000x1000 to not get noticed, the latter is much nicer to indicate storage size, looks like more value for your money...

Compare this to scanners that have an optical resolution of 600DPI but boast 4800dpi on the box (interpolated) in small print on the side...