Newbie with ADSL / PPPoE problem

towball

:help: Hi Guys (and Gals?),

Being a newbie to Linux, I've come across an issue that I can't resolve, and I'm hoping one (or some) of you can assist me.

I've just installed MDK 9.2 on to a laptop (PIII, 384Mb RAM, 20Gb HD), without issue. Everything appears to be working just fine.

OK, now the tricky bit. I've got a D-Link DSL-200 USB Modem (apparently that makes you Linux guru's shudder and cringe!), I've installed the eciadsl program (as root)-- that was easy, but I have this synch problem that I don't understand how to resolve. The documentation mentions something about synch .bin files. I'm positive that all my settings are correct (I have setup & used the modem under Windoze OK). BTW: I'm using the Australian service provider TPG, if that helps.

So,

Question 1: How do I configure/setup this eciadsl to get around this synch problem?

Question 2: Can someone confirm whether I still need to use a PPPoE client in conjunction with eciadsl, or should I just use a PPPoE client??

No, I can't afford a router (sorry!).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks - Towball.

Moved from Software Forum to Networking Forum by Artificial Intelligence

I am not very familiar with this, but this might help:

Is the modem definately working in Linux? Is it showing up in your /dev/ directory? USB modems do make us cringe, but there are ways of getting around it, like PPPoE.

PPPoE stand for PPP over Ethernet - you probably knew that. You are plugging straight into your USB port, so if that works then PPPoE would not be needed. Now, because it is a bitch (and sometimes impossible) to get a USB modem working in Linux, most users rely on an Ethernet connection to the modem instead - hence the need for PPPoE. I am referring here to ADSL and Broadband modems. Dialup is a whole different kettle of fish.

Most distributions need PPPoE compiled into the kernel, Mandrake takes care of this for you, so no worries there.

I am getting a USB broadband modem, the only way I can use it in Linux is to buy an adaptor that allows me to plug it into my Ethernet port and utilise it via PPPoE.

And that is about the extent of my knowledge on the topic, hope it helps (even a little bit). ;)

• 7 months later...

hi!

first: sorry for my english 8)

second: your modem is supported by the eciadsl.

So, i don't know your kernel version, it's important because if you have got the new kenrle (2.6.x) you must install the eciadsl 0.9 otherwise you must install the ecidasl 0.8, the synch files are in the same page (here).

When you have installed the 2 package you must go to a consolo as root and type:

#eciconftxt.sh

then select 1) and put all the information (id, password, VPI, and so on).

when you arrive to the selection of the synch file remember that the synch specified in this page are probabily better, but it's not sure.

after the config operations, you have to type as root:

#startmodem

bye