Bootloader error in MDK-10

rje_nc

While trying to install Mandrake-10, the install goes fine until I get to the bootloader screen. When I select lilo, I get a "mkinitrc error" and I do not get any entry for the linux installaton. If I then try to add it manually, nothing gets added.

I have also tried to boot up in rescue mode and reinstall the bootloader from the text menu, I get an "abnormal program termination" error message.

It does not matter if I select grub or lilo, the bootloader configuration file does not get written. Because of this I cannot boot up the installed software.

My system is a fairly generic AMD Athlon 2400 XP with 512MB RAM. I am installing from a DVD drive, and I had to make a boot floppy since the MDK-10 disk 1 would not boot the PC. I have installed several other distro's on this machine (removable IDE HD) without any problems.

Any advice or sugestions would be appreciated. It appears that the lilo.conf file is not getting written properly.

Bob

Can you actually boot the system still?

After making the changes to your lilo.conf file, are you re-running lilo?

If you can boot to the mdk10 install, add a cooker-main urpmi source and urpmi a new version of mkinitrd to see if that helps you out.

For kicks and grins, in rescue mode try manually installing like so.....

choose

Mount your Partitions under /mnt

then choose

Go to Console

then type;

chroot /mnt

and hit Enter. You're now in your linux sys. Then type;

lilo -v

What error?

Tell us your partition layout and hardware and post what's in your lilo.conf. Find out with;

vi /etc/lilo.conf

To quit vi do;

Esc

:

q!

and hit Enter