10.0 RC1 X Server Problem

MDLinuxMan

Okay, I'm not a very experienced Linux user but I thought I would give ML10.0 RC1 a try (wanted to check out 2.6 kernel performance, among other things).

However, I can't get X Server to start. I have a dual-monitor setup with a Matrox Millennium on PCI 1:0:0 and NVidia GeForce2 integrated on PCI 2:0:0.

I do boot to the command line, then run DrakeConfig. Then choose display (which I think runs XFDrake). After adding both video cards and monitors, the test always fails.

When I quit and return to the command line and run startx, I get and error "(EE) Can not find screen layout" (or something very similar).

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Has this happened to anyone else?

It happens to me too, and the only way to get X server working is to re-install the nvidia driver again (again...)

I find this will happen if I configure my screen resolution via MCC.

fwiw i tried running a dual-head system in MDK by adding a Matrox Mil 2 video board to a system that already had a Mil 2 video board (active) and an Intel on-board graphics display (inactive). the system wouldn't load any X programs, and left me at the CLI. :wall: