Linux on Primary IDE master

I'm posting this for Daedenilus, who was asking questions on #musb about this.

He has WinXP on a SATA drive, tried to install MDK on primary master ide while another installation of windows xp is on primary slave. After install, he still got the Windows bootloader, which lets him choose WinXP on SATA or WinXP on IDE and both worked, but never got a lilo prompt. I tried helping him to install lilo on MBR of SATA, which I believed to be /dev/hde in Linux, but no go. Still got the Windows bootloader and could boot into either windows fine. So, we tried rescue and uninstall lilo and reinstall lilo on MBR of /dev/hda which is where Linux should be. After that, we still get the Windows bootloader and the SATA windows works fine, but now trying to pick the other Windows gets us to the WinXP screen just before login prompt and hangs. Tried restoring Windows bootloader to /dev/hda, but still the same problem. Went into BIOS and changed the boot order of SATA -> IDE0 to IDE0 -> SATA, but now, it says there is no boot signature on IDE and defaults back to the Windows bootloader on the SATA. SATA still boots fine.

Here are the entries in lilo for Windows drives:

other=/dev/hdb1       
   label="windows"    
   table=/dev/hdb
   map-drive=0x80 to=0x81
   map-drive=0x81 to=0x80
other=/dev/hde1    
   label="windows2"   
   table=/dev/hde
   map-drive=0x80 to=0x82   
   map-drive=0x82 to=0x80

Linux is /dev/hda according to lilo.conf.

lilo -T geom

just gave us an error. I'm not sure what that error was.

I think we can still recover the MBR for windows on the primary slave ide, but I'm not sure how. Trying to recover it in MDK rescue did not work.

what's the rest of lilo.conf?....like

root=

boot=

In win2k it's called ntldr (nt loader) and is always in C:\ if the primary master but I d/k about sata's. Where is

ntldr

boot.ini

?

That's the hd/mbr that lilo needs to be installed to.

I think we can still recover the MBR for windows on the primary slave ide, but I'm not sure how. Trying to recover it in MDK rescue did not work.
recover for?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/139267

OK, Luke and LiquidZoo helped him get this sorted out (with me translating to 'newbie'). He probably didn't have to do it this way, but he got this far in between us helping him:

He removed all drives except for the primary master IDE and installed Linux, installing lilo on mbr of /dev/hda. Then he connected the SATA and the primary slave IDE drives.

Then, with Luke and LZ guiding him, he went into the bios to make sure it booted the IDE before the SATA and then booted to Linux and edited /etc/fstab to add /dev/hdb (primary slave) and /dev/hde (sata) and then added sections in /etc/lilo.conf to boot to those:

other=/dev/hdb1       
   label="windowsIDE"    
   table=/dev/hdb
   map-drive=0x80 to=0x81
   map-drive=0x81 to=0x80
other=/dev/hde1    
   label="windowsSATA"   
   table=/dev/hde
   map-drive=0x80 to=0x82   
   map-drive=0x82 to=0x80

Ran lilo -v and rebooted and tested both Windows. The SATA booted fine, and he corrected the boot.ini in that install of WinXP to only know about itself. But apparently we corrupted the MBR on /dev/hdb and it wouldn't finish booting. It would get to the Windows boot screen just before it asks for your login info and the HD would stop and it would just hang. We tried 6 ways to Sunday to get the MBR restored properly, but nada. So, at this moment, he is reinstalling WinXP on that drive (with the other drives removed, because we don't want to have to figure out how to get lilo installed in the right MBR again...lol) and is supposed to inform us if it boots when he reconnects everything.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I would like to thank everyone who helped me load Linux, it was one of the most difficult tasks I've done in a while, i.e. the multiple operating systems. Thanks to Ohms, Luke, and Liquid Zoo, I'm enjoying the Linux enviornment. I still have no idea what I'm doing thus far, so I'll probably be hanging out in the chat rooms, reading some books, and not to mention tinkering with Linux. Thanks again to everyone who helped me and spent their time helping me, it was probably one of the nicest things I've seen from people in the Tech Sector. If this is how Linux users normally act, then I'll enjoy my crossover.

Daedenilus