Some news on United Linux - How about common RPM's

ral

Some news on United Linux.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn...009-26-RV-BZ-SW

I like the diversity (since it brings choices)... it would great though if the was a Untied RPM Alliance between the RPM (Mandrake, RedHat ...etc) based distro's. I feel that this would make Linux more viable in the eyes of current windows users.

Guest jglen490

Allow me to disagree :wink: .

Windows is not Linux, Linux is not Windows. Precisely because Linux is a diversified, and not a unified, product it remains different and therefore viable as an alternative. If Linux is seen as flexible and configurable to a variety of business and individual usage conditions while remaining low-cost when compared to other OS licensing and configuration restrictions, then there is incentive to change. As Linux grows in stature and in reputation as a thing that is flexible while being stable and low cost, there is also incentive to change. If Linux acts like Windows, then there is no incentive to change.

To me, the United Linux model is 1) a sign of desperation and 2) an attempt to build a false image of size and viability.

Guest jglen490

My concern is -- who gets to make those decisions? Chances are it will be a marketer who knows nothing about the technical merits of one or the other, and not the consumer.

If it's a marketer who makes that choice, then we end up with a M$-type dictation of terms.

If the consumer chooses, then we end up with most of the market choosing something most of the time, but the possibility of choice remains and the possibility for change as something better comes along.

Like all Linux decisions, it would be done by committee,...

There would be a handful of minimum packages that would be included and configuration of them to be standardized to an extent so that instaling packages would be universal across distros. It doesn't mean that the Distros have to change to be all the same though. The diversity doesn't have to suffer for minimum interoperability of packages.

My concern is -- who gets to make those decisions?  Chances are it will be a marketer who knows nothing about the technical merits of one or the other, and not the consumer.

If it's a marketer who makes that choice, then we end up with a M$-type dictation of terms.

If the consumer chooses, then we end up with most of the market choosing something most of the time, but the possibility of choice remains and the possibility for change as something better comes along.

A marketer? For Linux? Is there such a thing?