Uninstalling Linux?

Hi

I'm just trying to install Linux (for the first time) as recommended OS in a programming course. I couldn't be bothered partitioning my system, so I installed a second HDD. Unfortunately, it was only 800MB and can only run as command prompt. Hence I must continue with Windows until I get a bigger drive (or partition).

Problem is, the boot loader still runs, with Linux as the default. Can anyone please tell me how to either uninstall Linux, or set the boot loader for default Windows (and then how I'd convert the installation/boot loader to the new HDD).

BTW, I've tried removing the second HDD but the boot loader isn't happy. Does some weird stuff in DOS.

Thanks

Myth

the easiest way I know is to boot in dos (I had XP so I used my old Win98 boot disk)

and type fdisk /mbr

and that was all :P

lilo never appeared again...until I reinstalled Linux, that is...

but that's if you installed it on the master boot record, otherwise I won't be of any help :unsure:

Edited by Ghil Vertefeuille

If you edit /etc/fstab as root, there is an option to specify the default near the top.  If you change that to the windows one then Linux will no longer be default

I guess you mean /etc/lilo.conf. Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo after changing /etc/lilo.conf.

anyhow Ghil Vertefeuille's advice is what you have to follow to get rid of lilo.

If you edit /etc/fstab as root, there is an option to specify the default near the top.  If you change that to the windows one then Linux will no longer be default

I guess you mean /etc/lilo.conf. Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo after changing /etc/lilo.conf.

anyhow Ghil Vertefeuille's advice is what you have to follow to get rid of lilo.

sorry - yes, I meant lilo.conf - think I was playing with my fstab at the time I posted...

How do I edit all of this stuff? And "don't forget to run /sbin/lilo"?

log as root

go to /etc: "cd /etc" (without the quotes an folowed by enter)

type "vi lilo.conf"

now you are entering the most surprising program for a DOS/Win person: the vi editor

type "I"

edit the file

press the Escape key

type ":wq"

done

now run lilo: type "lilo"

that's all

PS: see you soon back on Linux

Simplest way to uninstall LILO after installing it, is lilo -U

This restores the prior boot loader, meaning the mbr is no longer dependant on having the linux distro present. You can then delete your linux partitions if you want. It's all explained under

man lilo

fdisk /mbr is also good if you have a win98 boot floppy with the fdisk.exe application on it. Then you can simply restore the mbr using that command. Same difference.

Orr..... the 42nd way to do this is to boot the Mandrake CD

type in rescue when it comes up, then go restore windows boot loader.

Also, check the knowledgebase on Microsoft's site, funnily enough they have entries tht help in removal of linux :deal: :lol2: :lol:

Edited by iphitus