vanilla kernel for Mandrake

arthur

Okay, people say that distro kernels are heavily patched. I want to use some patches, but they require vanilla kernel sources. Question is, aside from supermount and the bootsplash (which I can add myself) what functionality is added into the kernel by Mandrakesoft?

I don't need supermount, but some important Mandrake features might suddenly disappear (no, supermount is not one of them) :unsure:

Well, maybe there's just one way to find out... :o

Install the kernel sources and have a look at the configuration file. Mandrake kernels are quite "heavy" (2.6.3 is just over 1.4MB), but if you use the mdk config as your compilation basis and remove stuff you don't need, you should be fine.

-Sascha.rb

Okay, people say that distro kernels are heavily patched.

Yes, and mandrake is famous because it's kernel is one of the most

I want to use some patches, but they require vanilla kernel sources.
If those patches are popular the probably will be already in the mandrake kernel.
Question is, aside from supermount and the bootsplash (which I can add myself)
well, I don't know what is nowadays but traditionally one wasn't able to add supermount to a vanilla kernel because that patch depended on many other mandrake hacks
what functionality is added into the kernel by Mandrakesoft?
you can look at the spec file of a mandrake-kernel.src.rpm for hints about the mandrake patches if I dont rememeber bad

yeah, I had that thought to use the mdk config file too.

Actually, I want to install swsusp2, which is an improvement to swsusp which is [probably] already in the Mandrake kernel. But using vanilla would give me more freedom to decide which goes into my kernel :D I meant I could add bootsplash myself - not supermount - I don't need it.

I might as well install Gentoo, but I haven't got THAT much time on my hands. Thanks for the info.

Edited by arthur

when you say bootsplash/vanilla kernel....it's already in it it just needs to be enabled (Y) ....no patches are needed. Framebuffer/initrd.

If you're running an mdk 2.6 there's no need to install the mdk kernel-source in order to get a mdk .config. While running the mdk 2.6 uncompress and copy /proc/config.gz. It's the kernel-sources .config ;)

To answer aru, yes, a vanilla can be patched w/ supermount now.

Edited by bvc

when you say bootsplash/vanilla kernel....it's already in it it just needs to be enabled (Y) ....no patches are needed. Framebuffer/initrd.

If you're running an mdk 2.6 there's no need to install the mdk kernel-source in order to get a mdk .config. While running the mdk 2.6 uncompress and copy /proc/config.gz. It's the kernel-sources .config  ;)

To answer aru, yes, a vanilla can be patched w/ supermount now.

No, bootsplash also requires a patch