Memory usage through the roof!

Guest bizofun

Guest bizofun

I have a fairly clean install of Mandrake 9 on my Toshiba 1755 laptop. I use Gnome normally but this applies to all the window managers. I have 192mb of memory. When I boot up and type 'free' to see the free memory I will never have more than 20mb free. For some reason there is something completely hogging my resources and can't firgure out why. When I type "ps -aux" in the terminal I get the list of processes running but they don't come close to the amount of memory being used. I have streamlined the processes which start at boot and have even recompiled my kernel (for other reasons) with most of the excess junk disabled. If anyone has any insight on how I might be able to free up some memory I would be grateful.

jim

[dana@digory dana]$ free -m

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem:           503        489         14          0          0        191

-/+ buffers/cache:        297        206

Swap:           94          4         89

[dana@digory dana]$

It's not that unusual, really. Linux uses memory more efficiently than Windows and so on, as well as the fact that a lot of RAM is in unused buffers.

Yip, what you're experiencing is completely normal. You are using an operating system that fully utilises your systems' resources.

Gnome is also known to be slightly more demanding on memory than other windows managers, but it is my favourite to. Check out gkrellm for keeping an eye on those resources!