Thinkpad 360cse with Slackware 9.0

My 486 thinkpad has 20mb memory, 810mb hard drive, a floppy drive and SMC's ez pc card 10 network card. It doesn't have a cd rom. I used the nfs install of Slackware9.0 and installed the a,l,n,x,xt options and tried to weed out any app that used a cd rom or mail to make it all fit on the hard drive. I tried to use the x window managers but the screen goes blank. Mozilla, Netscape, gimp, and abiword all tell me they need libgtk.1.2.so and I looked around with midnight commander and I can't find that lib. There is some background, here are some questions: Would an earlier version of slack be better suited to my machine? Can I get pkgtool to use the same nfs source as it used for the install to maybe add some libraries? Has anyone with a simular notebook run linux and been able to use a browser (links is fine but I miss the pretty pictures) a word processor and a few odd games?

My work takes me away from my computer for long periods, so I might not be able to respond to anyone as soon as I'd like.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I tried slakware 7.2 on the laptop without any better result. I think I need to configure xfree in a non standard manner or give up on a gui with a 20mb memory. Tho win95 does run. I plan on installing debian next and I 'll post my results in case someone else is thinking about dusting off an old thinkpad just to show the grandchildren what we used to use to help old A.G.Bell keep track of his phone bill.

Cheers

Mike