Advanced Power Management and MDK 8.2

Guest JaseP

I have a new system which uses Advanced Power Managment, and have difficulty shutting off the machine. Ideally I would like Linux to power down the machine, but right now I have Advanced Power Managment turned off and have to press and hold the reset and power buttons simultaenously. Has anyone else had more luck with working with this?

PS I don't want to patch my kernel if I can help it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks. I'll try that.

Where do I perform the edit on the config files, to have KDE's login manager use poweroff instead of shutdown -h now???

I use the GUI almost exclusively unless I am doing house-keeping or configuration. I like the command-line and all, for its power and flexibility, but I want a consistent GUI interface for everyday use.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, that didn't work...

I get the same effect.

I'm thinking that in the shutdown process, Linux is over-taking the BIOS with its attempt at power-management and not letting the BIOS shut the power off (which is why I have to press the reset button, and don't in Windoze or when the machine is just powering up...).

What I'm wondering is whether there is any line in a configuration file that I might consider remarking out to see if that improves the situation.