Module-init-tools.0.9.15

AussieJohn

Hello everyone. I am running Mandrake9.2 with the .....4.21 +4Gb kernel and all the appropriate, for my purposes, Errata updates and upgrades. I have downloaded the latest 2.6 kernel and the 2.6 Source. (From Mandrakes Packager) The Source installed AOK.

The Kernel install said that Module-init-tools0.9.15 was needed so I got same from a site which had it in tar form and did the usual ,/configure OK but the <make> gives an error lines as follows:-

gcc-g 02 -Wunused -Wall -Wcast-align -o insmod.static -static insmod.o

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [insmod.static] Error 1

I know many of you are using the new kernel so you have obviously overcome any problems that arose (maybe this one). Is there an RPM available from anywhere for this (I don't expect that to solve the problem because the dependency still obviously exists)

Thanks in advance. John (69yrs young) :help:

Wow. I really am flabbergasted that no one has made a comment on this one for such a long time. So I guess no one had any ?? troubles installing the 2.6 kernel at all. Hu...um. That seems odd.

In the meantime, I purchased the newly released monthly edition of AUSTRALIAs biggest selling Computer magazine, APC or Australian Personal Computer, and it contained Kernel 2.6.1 Source and Module-Init-Tools 3.0-pre5 on the enclosed CD_ROMs and had an excellent 2 page article on the installing procedure and written in a clear, concise, and east to understand language and style. (There were heaps of other Linux stuff and up to date packages as well e.g latest XMMS 1.2.8) ( So Linux isn't Desktop mainstream HUH ????)

I tried the procedure the author outlined for modules-init-tools on the version I downloaded but got the same error result as before.

I will now try to install APCs version and see how I go.

Cheers. John

if there are mandrake rpm's for the latest kernel, there should also be mandrake rpms for the appropriate module-init-tools version. the error you are getting is in fact a very strange one, and i've seen it before and have never figured out how to resolve it. it has to do w/ld not having certain switches (in this case -lc) which may be due to differing versions or some other things.

either way, if there is a mandrake rpm for the kernel, there should be a mandrake rpm for the module-init-tools. have you tried using urpmi?

Thank you TYME for replying. I have been trying to work out how to set up for the site from which I downloaded the kernel.

The file which is :- kernel-2.6.3.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm downloaded from http://rpm.pbone.net. I downloaded module-init tools-3.0-0.pre9.2mdk.i586.rpm from the same site at the same time. When I then tried to install the kernel (RPM) it said that I needed sysfsutils so I got it from the same site just a little later. When I tried to install the sysfsutils, it says it needs libsysfs.so and I can't find that one from anywhere on this site so it must be in another package of a different name.

I have tried using MCCs Software Management ---> Software Media Manager which I use successfully for everything other than websites but can't seem to put in the right details that it wants.

But I just have to go and get some dammed sleep.

Again cheers for now. John :wall:

a module-init-tools is almost always where you find the kernel. If it's not, ditch that horrible mirror and get a good one.

Yeah....it's down rt now....probably updating or something but this is the best source I've ever found.

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...6/Mandrake/RPMS

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...el/contrib/i586

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/...mandrake/cooker

tyme, you need to fix your urpmi link. :D

Edited by bvc