Problem setting permissions

I'm trying to test my skills (the few that I have) by setting permissions on my music folder. /music.

root:/$ ls -l
drwxrwxr-x   61 root     cdwriter     2248 Feb 24 14:46 music/

I want it to be accessible for playing by everyone, but I only want those in cdwriter to be able to write to it (renaming files, moving folders around, etc). Ok, seems like I did chmod and chown correctly, right?

In userdrake, I made sure andrew was checked under group cdwriter.

So I open EasyTag while logged into user andrew and it wouldn't let me save a file. What am I missing?

root:/$ ps -Af | grep easy
andrew    3445     1  0 17:32 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/easytag

You set the permissions on a folder, however, this does not mean that any of the files in that folder will have the same permissions. You actually need to do chmod and chgrp recursively in order to ensure that everything below the folder has the same permissions.

chmod -R 775 music/*

This should ensure that everything is writable for the group cdwriter.

There is also a way of setting a bit or umask for a folder that will ensure that any files added/created in that folder will inherit the same permissions as the folder. However, I am not sure of how to do it and I have never really had much luck with it.

Also, if you just joined a group, I have no idea if you need to log back in to ensure that you are registered for that group (I doubt it, but you never know).

What did it was you mentioning chgrp. I had learned to use "chown ### :group_name" to change the group. But chgrp worked.

Next question is: how do I make sure any new files created will have the same permissions?

Edited by Andrewski

So I open EasyTag while logged into user andrew and it wouldn't let me save a file.  What am I missing?

Probably you are missing the SGID to allow that any file created in a directory will belong to the same group You have to apply the sgid to the root directory of that tree to make that all new files and dirs created will have the same group id that has the root directory, in your example:

~# mkdir root_dir
~# chmod 2775 root_dir
~# chgrp cdwriter root_dir
~# ls -ld root_dir/
drwxrwsr-x    2 root   cdwriter         48 feb 25 12:26 root_dir//
~# touch root_dir/file_1
~# su aru
~$ touch root_dir/file_2
~$ ls root_dir/*
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 root     cdwriter        0 feb 25 12:36 file_1
-rw-r--r--    1 aru      cdwriter        0 feb 25 12:37 file_2
~$

HTH, or tell me if I'm missing the whole point

Edited by aru

I did that. Not at my computer right now, but I ls'ed to music, typed umask and got "0224" I think. Whatever it was, it wasn't 0775, so I typed "umask 0775" and it stuck. I created a new folder and it was drwxrwxr-x, just like I wanted. Ok.

man umask just told me such things, it didn't seem to mention owner and group membership, unless I missed something...?

Well, right idea, but the question is, how do I set it to automatically pick up the settings?  In your example, you still had to chmod and chgrp...

But only for the root directory. I had to create my own root_directory to show you how to do it. You've seen the '2' placed before the permission mask in the chmod command. And you've seen that the permission string of that directory wasn't "drwxrwxr-x" but was "drwxrsxr-x", haven't you?

If you take a look to the last part of my example, I touched two files, one as user root and other as user aru, to show you that both files were created w/o problem by two different users, and that both files *automatically* got the cdwriter group, showing you that all the subsequent files and directories of that directory tree inherit the group ID of the root_directory, thus allowing *automatically* any user of that group to create his own files and directories within that directory tree. That was what I understood you wanted to do, wasn't that? By obvious security reasons that is imposible to be done without the SGID bit

man umask

I'm not sure if umask has something to do with this problem. umask sets the user's mask for creating new files, it doesn't grant the ability of *any* user of a given group to create new files on a given directory. That is done by SGID; man chmod ;)

Edited by aru

OK, almost there. I understand everything you did in your above example (and now that I'm at my computer, I notice all those things). :) Here's my results:

root:/$ chmod 2775 music/
root:/$ chgrp cdwriter music/
root:/$ ls -ld music/
drwxrwsr-x   63 root     cdwriter     1648 Feb 25 23:12 music//
root:/$ touch music/file_1
root:/$ su andrew
andrew:/$ touch music/file_2
andrew:/$ ls -ld music/*
drwxrwsr-x    3 root     cdwriter      104 Feb 24 14:33 music/Albéniz/
drwxrwsr-x   46 root     cdwriter     3256 Feb 24 14:36 music/Bach/
drwxrwsr-x    3 root     cdwriter      112 Feb 24 14:36 music/Bartok/
<snip>
-rw-r--r--    1 root     cdwriter        0 Feb 25 23:15 music/file_1
-rw-r--r--    1 andrew   cdwriter        0 Feb 25 23:15 music/file_2
<snip>
andrew:music$ umask

Ok, so the owner didn't get picked correctly and neither did the permissions. Umask is at fault for the latter, but I just set it last night! In fact, after setting it and trying a few more times (su'ing and such), it keeps changing back to 0022! What's the deal?

My fault, you'll also need to set the umask value to 0002 to all the users who are going to edit files in that directory. The SGID grants that users of the root_directory group are able to create new files in it, and that those files will inherit the group, but does nothing about the permissions of the resulting files, that's umask's job. Just change your users' umask and you are done :)

Edited by aru

Becuase UMASK is just an envvar (environment varaible)

add

export UMASK=0022

in your users .bashrc

Also, do you understand why the numbers are 1-7 ??

I have a post somewhere explaining it.

bah its like this....

We'll only look at one set of wrx since the numbers are just treated as three seperate bits.

wrx=

So w+x = 4+1 = 5

in case you didn't catch on these are the binary numbers so although you type a decimal 5 its actually 101...

So its quite simple, 1=on and 0 = off.

w-x=

4-1=5=

So the UMASK is just subtracted from this

DESCRIPTION

The umask() routine sets the process's file mode creation mask to numask

and returns the previous value of the mask.  The 9 low-order access per-

mission bits of numask are used by system calls, including open(2),

mkdir(2),  mkfifo(2) and mknod(2) to turn off corresponding bits request-

ed in file mode.  (See chmod(2)).  This clearing allows each user to re-

strict the default access to his files.

The default mask value is S_IWGRP|S_IWOTH (022, write access for the own-

er only).  Child processes inherit the mask of the calling process.

In English....

Just subtract the UMASK from 777 and this gives you the permissions that a file will have if created using... (well those routines cover just about everything)

The SGID/SUID bit is just the leftmost bit of the series.

Erm ... here's a link cos Im going home....

http://www.geocities.com/tipsforlinux/arti...ticles/028.html

Thanks, I didn't know that's what umask did. My man page was empty, and just listed a bunch of other bash commands to look up. Sheesh!

add export UMASK=0022 in your users .bashrc

OK, but isn't umask set per-folder? How would I do that just for /music/? Sorry, I really don't have any info on umask to go on....

(BTW, I'd want UMASK=0002, since I want the files in /music/ to be 0775.)

Edited by Andrewski

No the permissions are set per folder, umask just alters the default permissions.

i.e If you set umask to 222 and then mkdir myfolder myfolder will be 555. r-x,r-x,r-x (now its set until you chmod it!)

cd afolder

then touch afile

oops, you can't becuase the directory is 555 :D

chmod 755 ../afolder

Now you can

touch afile

ls -l

hey, its not executable! (the answers on this page)

but

mkdir another

gives 555 as expected.

NOW change the umask to 000

mkdir yet another

Yep its 777.

See if you can say why cat >afile OR touch afile are not what expected :D