Can't get SBlive working, module will not load

hea

I'm trying to get a SBlive ct4830 card working on a A7V8x mb. I disable onboard sound in bios and there is no jumper to do this on mb as far as I can see.

I have the emu10k1 as a loadable module.

After I insert the card I try to load the module by

#modprobe emu10k1

Then I get the message 'segmentation fault'

If i do lsmod afterwards, the emu10k1 is reported as 'initializing' all the time.

rmmod gives 'device busy'.

When shutting down the computer it hangs and I have to use button.

I have tried different PCI-slots with same result.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong here?

While in the bios, be sure that you have assigned an irq to the slot inwhich the card is located. I believe soundblasters prefer 5, 7, or 9. Also be sure that plug and play is off. Additionally, my mb has two areas inwhich to defeat the onboard audio. Just doublecheck that all is off with the onbord.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have now tried to find other places in bios to disable onboard sound, with no luck.

Next I tried to set the IRQ to 5/7/9/11 and even tried to reserve the IRQ I was using.

The same thing as described earlier happened again, every time. I did make an observation: No matter wich IRQ I assigned to the soundcard, in the listing during startup describing wich IRQ is assigned to wich device, the onboard network controller always had the same IRQ as the sound card. Spooky (or isn't it?) And during shutdown (after trying to insert the emu10k1 module) the system hangs at : 'Deconfiguring network interface.......'

This is not a big issue, I have onboard sound working ok but I came over this card and was curios if this sblive is any better. (Onboard is realtek ALC650 if anyone has compared them).

Edited by hea