Help

energymedia

Good morning all,

I was just informed by my boss that I am going to be performing an audit on a linux server in two hours. As I have been attempting to learn linux, this makes me an "Expert" (mainly cause I know what linux is). :help:

Obviously I do not feel I am ready for this, but he pays the bills.

I need to know a cli commands to pull be able to display hardware info (memory, harddrives, NIC), services running and versions (ie. samba 2.0.1) and whatever else you would think I need.

I am not totally ignorant on linux, however I am new to servers without a GUI (I know, I know, I'm learning!).

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

The list is endless, i don't know where to start :D

Though you may not have a gui installed (KDE Gnome etc) you may well have Webmin installed on it.

If you don't then quickly install it. !!

All the info you listed above will be listed there. Then from whatever computer you like, just do :

servers_URL:10000/

For the console, look in the weblinks link above, and find "the A to Z of Linux commands"

Actually went pretty well. I had found a CLI Administrators primer and was able to memorize the commands that I needed to utilize. The server is running Red Hat 7.1 with the 2.4.2-2 Kernel. I can see that everything needs updating and that there is a lot of room for improvement.

The method in which the old admin had been backing up the server is troubling to me. The server is setup in a RAID configuration. To backup, they break the RAID array and insert a different HDD. Then they recreate the array. The really scary thing about this, is that the old admin actually only comes in once a month, so he taught a non-tech to perform this function. Wait, it gets better. The non-tech does this using the ROOT account. :screwy:

The other thing that bothers me, actually a lot does but I am talking this time, is that the non-techs are having to run e2fsck at least twice a month after performing the backup.

The network and workstations are a whole nightmare on their own, but I can deal with that.

I would love to install a brand new server in their and set it up as a terminal server and have all of the workstations run as terminals. (http://www.k12ltsp.org/). Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

Talk to you soon.